Rena Filstar XP3 Priming issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dewiro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a 75 gallon ready for fish setup off craigslist that came with a rena filstar xp2 and xp3. I got the whole setup for $200 but instead of coming with the pipe that comes in the box with the filters he had some PVC contraption made so he could use both filters at the same time. I plan on just using 1, the issue with this is with the pipes he has theres no way to fill the intake tube. Anyways i've been messing with it a lot, and i've got the canister 100% full, but no matter how I mess with it no water flow is coming out. Does anybody have any ideas? Or know where I can buy the intake tubes/pipes that come with it?

I would use both filters. Make one a Bio-Filter and make the other carbon or other media filter. I do not use the XP piping just do not like it. But when i do water changes i use my power head with a hose to fill the output side to push ait out the intake side. just get new piping to make your life easy. Either way you must get water into the hoses to get it to take off.

you can get the stuff you need from pet solutions, Foster smith .com and That pet place.com

dewiro said:
I bought a 75 gallon ready for fish setup off craigslist that came with a rena filstar xp2 and xp3. I got the whole setup for $200 but instead of coming with the pipe that comes in the box with the filters he had some PVC contraption made so he could use both filters at the same time. I plan on just using 1, the issue with this is with the pipes he has theres no way to fill the intake tube. Anyways i've been messing with it a lot, and i've got the canister 100% full, but no matter how I mess with it no water flow is coming out. Does anybody have any ideas? Or know where I can buy the intake tubes/pipes that come with it?

The original tubing for XP filters are kinda expensive and crapy IMO. I went out to home depot bought the threaded plastic pipes used for the sprinkler systems and used teflon tape to rig up my own intake output pipes on my XP filters for under $10. You need to find some sort of T-valve for the intake pipe so you can pour water down the intake hose to fill the canister and hose up with water. Hopefully one of those filter motors isn't bad and that's why the previous owner had both filters tied in together. If you can set them both up on tank, I have an XP4 and 2 on my 54gal. Go to youtube there's some videos on setting up Rena XP filters, you'll see what I'm talking about on the T-valve.

Back
Top Bottom