Replacing filter cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKelly

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I have to replace my filter catridge like every 2 weeks. Is this normal? It is one of those that you just insert into the filter. It gets gunk on one side, then the water doesn't flow through. Am I suposed to clean it somehow and reuse it or just break out a new one???? It says nothing about cleaning the cartridge on the package.

help...

You can rinse out your filter cartridge each time you do a water change. I rinse mine out in the bucket that the used tank water is in. I have been advised against rinsing in normal tapwater because it can disrupt the bacterial growth in my bio-wheels. Once rinsed you should get a couple more weeks use out of it. (Depending on your fish bio-load of course.) I do weekly water changes so my cartridge gets rinsed weekly and changed at least once a month. You can usually tell pretty easily if you need to actually change it.

Hope this helps.

Rose

You're a filter-manufacturer's dream-come true! :D

Same thing happens to my Penhuin mini cartridges. I dunk the filthy cartridge in a bucket of old tank water and gently wipe the pad clean. Then I put the catridge back in the filter and I'm good to go for another 2 - 3 weeks. Eventually (about 3 months), the fibrous pad becomes so thin and stringy, that I have to replace the cartridge.

But if it's a carbon filter, the carbon wears out in about 4 weeks, doesn't it? If it's the kind you can refill, you can just put in fresh carbon and use the filter until it wears out, like Cherry Barb and QTOffer said.

I I generally don't use carbon unless it's already in the cartridge -- and even then, I really don't give it much thought. However, if you're using a cartridge containing carbon to pull out meds, odors, or discoloration, I guess it would be wise to dump the carbon after 2 - 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom