Replacing filter- question on filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Our 40 gallon tank has 2 filters, one which I want o replace with a larger filter in order to pass the smaller one to a friend.

My question is I do not want to cause a mini cycle by losing so much beneficial bacteria.

My plan was to purchase the new larger filter (HOB) and put the old smaller filter media into the open area of the new filter for a couple weeks along with the new media that comes with it.

After a couple weeks pull the old media out and set up the smaller filter with the old media in the new tank.

Is this the best way to proceed?

Yep! Just keep a close eye on your parameters when you move the old media to your new filter & then again when you pull the old media out. The longer you can leave the old media in the new filter, the better. :)

Yep! Just keep a close eye on your parameters when you move the old media to your new filter & then again when you pull the old media out. The longer you can leave the old media in the new filter, the better. :)

Man I wish i had seen this BEFORE i made the mistake of putting in a new filter and discarding the old media-- it was a mess for quite a while and actually still isn't exactly right. Not to mention the ammonia problem-- :(:(:(:(:(

there should be a sticky on filter media somewhere, i changed part of my media today (carbon) and now im reading that carbon is not a "must use", either my lfs is "totally clueless" or i missed something because my LFS recommended 3/4 full of my fluval 105 full with activated carbon and 1/4 zeolite, and the carbon is just good for 3 weeks or so?... that thing is expensive!...

i just changed 1/2 (one basket) of carbon, and im planning on changing the above basket to full on zeolite or zeolite plus some sort of sponge, i read about some other materials somewere on the forums but i seem to have lost it.

Back
Top Bottom