Replacing schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krabaple

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had 6 white skirt tetras, but 2 recently died. Should I replace the 2 or keep the 4 by themselves? The remaining 4 are just about 1 year old and seem calm without the other 2.

As you obviously know from asking the question, they do tend to be more comfortable and be less nippy in larger groups. Do you not have room to add a couple more?

I have room to get more. I just didn’t know if introducing new fish after the 4 have been together for a year would be a problem.

Hello Kra...

Schooling fish will no longer school once they feel comfortable in their surroundings. Schooling is a defense against predatory fish. You can certainly keep a few Tetras. I've kept one Tetra in a 45 gallon tank for more than a year along with one Zebra Danio. Both are in a Community tank that includes other Tetras, Guppies and some Comet Goldfish.

As long as you keep the water clear of dissolved waste material, the fish will remain healthy.

B

Do keep an eye on them for any aggressive behavior cropping up. Schooling is not exclusively for protection. For nippers; like these guys can be, it’s also about distributing aggression.

Back
Top Bottom