Repopulating advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rianyu

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I am starting to (slowly) restock my 30g long tank. I currently have 8 neons in there, hoping to make it a total of 20 in the end.

I've been on AqAdvisor planning out the stock but I would like second (or third or fourth) opinions.

20 neon tetras
4 corydoras
4 otos

This seems like a lot of fish to me - before I only had 3 corys, 1 young pleco and 12 neons in the tank this same size.

Does this look ok? Should I cut down or add more? What if I wanted some top dwelling fish (and what types would people recommend?)

Thanks all :D Totally open to crit, but please do be constructive!

I have 17 rummies, 6 cories, 2 otos, 15 guppies(soon only 3), and 2 GBR in mine. You are fine. I'd add an apisto pair and get six cories.

My stock according to aqadvisor is about 200 percent lol. That site plays to the lowest common denominator. Hatchets would make a nice top swimmer if you do 15 neons and 8 hatchets
Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Haha serious? Well then I won't be too shy then. Was so worried because it seems beginners like me overstocking their tanks are a common problem.

I didn't even think of hatchets! I have only seen them in one LFS so hopefully it's not too late.

Petsmart carries them. You will need a tight lid as they jump

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Oh? I'll have to take a second look - they didn't have them the many times I've been through there.

Hah! Yes I've heard that. I had just bought a new light and hood for the tank and I think it'll be enough to keep them from flying out.

If you want Hatchets , look for Marbled Hatchets, they stay smaller. They will jump out of almost ANY opening if startled.

Floating plants can help.

I would NOT advise overstocking. If you miss a water change, you can lose fish.

That being said, if you have a planted tank, you can have more fish. Esp small species.

There are small Cories.
I have C habrosus and C pygmaeus currently.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418965740.112398.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys :D

Yes I have a planted tank - but I actually thought having all these plants may limit my stock even more because of the space they take up?

I'll have to rethink hatchets anyway, after looking at my hood I realized the filter I have isnt wide enough to use up the whole space the hood allotted for a filter and it will definitely be big enough for one to hop out of. No biggie, I'll just have to keep looking.

I did go get a couple otos and some cories today. They seem to be enjoying themselves right off the bat.

Back
Top Bottom