Repost of discus breeding ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh N Salt guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Been tank in' 16 years. About to do my first discus breed. Posted this in breeding forum with no response. Hoping to get some first hand discus experience on this. Read up a ton on it, just looking for some pointers from someone who has gone through it.

What's the breeding age of discus? Got a 1 1/2 year male and a 6 year female. They just started doing the discs breeding dance and I pulled out my 30 gallon storage tank, cut a terra-cotta pot in half and started the cycling. 1 1/2 year old seems young but with the dance I'm gonna give it a shot. Anyone with specific discus breeding knowledge please chime in. And I have already researched a ton so copy and pasting a thread will be something I've already read. Need first hand non basic info here. Been told discus are tricky. Need some insight.

My female was always chasing around my male and he ran. Finally he started doing the discus dance last week and though he is young, I'm moving them over to my breeder tank this weekend so my plecos don't eat all the eggs. Any tid bits would be greatly appreciated about what I am about to get myself into to

I bonused into a breeding pair about 10 yrs ago. The info I got back then went something like this........keep the water VERY clean, ie; daily water changes. Keep the breeding tank in a quiet place, ie; away from main household high traffic areas. Keep the tank basic, ie; heater, sponge filter and egg laying surface only. Be patient, dont rush, and don't get discouraged. Oh ya....from first hand experience.....make sure you keep the tank well covered. It sucks to wake up to find one fish in a tank that had two the night before. Sorry I couldn't be more help but you've done your research so you're off to a good start

Thanks man. I appreciate your insight. Excited to give this a shot and have spent countless hours on Internet and just chatting with my LfS owner covered it will be. Had a pleco jump out years ago and your right, it did suck :). Got my breeder tank in my spare bedroom with no traffic. Appreciate your input, apparently not to many discus breeders on the forum, your my first response in 2 posts. And I use DI RO water and plan on a 25% pwc every day or two. Scared to disrupt any action with daily water changes but ill just have to read their reaction as I go. Thanks again. Hopefully pics of my babies coming soon

Back
Top Bottom