Reptile tank to fish tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gloriaharp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a few old aquariums that were used for tropical reptiles several years back. I was wanting to use them for aquariums now, just like the lord intended. Is there any possible disease I can introduce to the new fishtanks of I were to go this route? Are there any specific cleaners I can use to possibly eliminate the risk of disease? I'd rather not kill any fish, or spend the money on new tanks, so here we are. TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleach. Just a teaspoon per gallon, I think for sanitizing or tablespoon per gallon, I'd need to check. nih.gov probably would indicate.

It doesn't seem that I can think of anything which would transfer. But after bleaching.. id let sit for a couple hours full of bleach water then empty and air dry a few hours.

Then clean with vinegar and baking soda as the scrubbing part, rinse after cleaning lots of times and especially don't forget under the rim. You don't want any bleach residue or vinegar or baking soda messing with the water parameters or fish.

Last edited:
I have a few old aquariums that were used for tropical reptiles several years back. I was wanting to use them for aquariums now, just like the lord intended. Is there any possible disease I can introduce to the new fish tanks of I were to go this route? Are there any specific cleaners I can use to possibly eliminate the risk of disease? I'd rather not kill any fish, or spend the money on new tanks, so here we are. TIA!

there is another smaller one, but my tank is actually to small for them, the tank needs to be at least double in size and they need to be in groups of like 10+ fish and they can get
very big... But a friend was selling her aquarium so I took the fish from her, never knew this, but I keep an eye on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some reptile tanks have thinner glass. Just make sure you're using a tank meant to hold water.

Back
Top Bottom