Responsible Aquarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Forgive me if this has been asked before, I browsed the forums and couldn't find this topic. What I would like to know is, as a responsible aquarist, what tank maintanance should I be preforming on a regular basis. There are considerable gaps in my knowledge that I would like to fill in. I can't do much of anything at the moment BTW, as I treating one of my C. Loach for Ich . I am going to put these maintainance steps in excel(I love excel) so I can keep track, and stay current. All my tank stats are in my sig, thanks for you patience and wisdom.
James.

Hi James,

What maintenance steps are you taking at the moment. It would be easier to fill in the gaps where we know there are gaps, rather than khaving to re-invent the wheel. Everyone here has a different schedule of task and maintenance steps that they follow.

Let us know.

I daily check the water temperature, make sure there's bubbles coming out of my Co2 (I just started with Co2), and my fishes appearance.

I love Excel too, I use it to keep track of my weekly water testing routine. Because I have a specialty tank, I need to pay more attention to my tests, especially pH and GH. I test for pH, GH, KH, Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites. Whether or not I need all these tests remains to be seen, but it takes all of ten minutes, so I do them all. I also weekly scrape the algae in my tank, prune the plants, and clean the intake of my power filter. One of the new chores I have is making a new Co2 mixture. I have two 2 litre coke bottles, one gets redone each week.

I change 20% of my tank water one week and change my filter medium the next week, so my water and filter get changed every two weeks without hurting the bacteria too much. When I change the water, I use a gravel vaccum to clean up the bottom of the tank.

That's about all I can think of right now, hope I was helpful!

I only test the water in my Discus tank. My other tanks I don't test unless there is a problem with the fish or something else is amiss. I do a weekly water change on the discus tank and a 2 weekly on the others.

I am familiar with replacing the filter media, but it doesn't tell me the intervals for replacement. I know not to replace both media at once. Before I had to treat for Ich I would gravel vac once a week and take about 10% of the water out. I have been replacing my water with R/O water(tap water sucks) I try to keep the ph@ 7.0 It's the middle ground for all my fish, and the fish I want to add. I am not sure what things in the water I should be monitoring.(thanks for that info Shawmutt)

I noticed you have an Aqua-Clear Filter. I have one myself, and it is important to come up with a good plan for replacing the filter media. Most Aqua-Clear has a foam cartrage for debris, a carbon filter, and an ammonia filter. I replace each of these individually every 2 weeks and rinse the ones I don't replace at the time of replacing the new cartrage. I go from bottom to top, heres how I do it:
Replace foam cartrage
(rinse carbon and ammonia)
2 week interval
replace carbon cartrage
(rinse foam and ammonia)
2 week interval
replace ammonia cartrage
(rinse carbon and foam)
repeat

Oh right and I try to siphon the gravel with a water change every week, although I was a water changing machine when I had algae problems this past week.

Back
Top Bottom