Restarting cycling process after washing established tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joidevive

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I need help. So I got an old fish tank from someone else. It had algae on it so I thoroughly rinsed the tank and everything in it including the pebbles, decorations, filter with water only. The decorations still have some dark green to black “stain” on them but I got most of it out.

So am I supposed to cycle the tank all over again? How long will that take since this was established before? I don’t have a cartridge in the filter right now but I plan on getting a new one later.

Did the system go a prolonged period of time without any fish in it? Beneficial bacteria will start to die off 2 or 3 hours if allowed to dry out. 2 or 3 days if kept wet. Even if longer you might not need to start over, depending on how long its been.

Did the system go a prolonged period of time without any fish in it? Beneficial bacteria will start to die off 2 or 3 hours if allowed to dry out. 2 or 3 days if kept wet. Even if longer you might not need to start over, depending on how long its been.

I don’t know how long =/

Should I go by Tetra Water Care Kit? It has tablets that removes chlorine, adds bacteria, and buffers pH. Supposed to work instantly.

Did the exact same when I got my tank, made the rookie mistake of cleaning it and hence killed off the beneficial bacteria.

I just started my cycle over again by adding in Dr Tims ammonia and tank was cycled seemingly within 2-3 weeks by which stage I then added my fish.

I would work on the basis that you have to cycle the aquarium again. If there is some beneficial bacteria in there then the cycle process will be speeded up.

Do you know how to cycle a tank?

I would work on the basis that you have to cycle the aquarium again. If there is some beneficial bacteria in there then the cycle process will be speeded up.

Do you know how to cycle a tank?

I think I am going to let it cycle by letting the tank sit for at least 2 weeks with current freshly filled water without any fish. I am also going to add a conditioner to help the bacteria along. Do I have to let the filter run continuously or can I turn it off now and then? I don’t have a cartridge right now.

I’m not going to be using the ammonia test kit or API. I’m just going to put in 1-2 small fish and see how they react and if I need to adjust the water like adding pH buffer or conditioner.

I think I am going to let it cycle by letting the tank sit for at least 2 weeks with current freshly filled water without any fish. I am also going to add a conditioner to help the bacteria along. Do I have to let the filter run continuously or can I turn it off now and then? I don’t have a cartridge right now.

I’m not going to be using the ammonia test kit or API. I’m just going to put in 1-2 small fish and see how they react and if I need to adjust the water like adding pH buffer or conditioner.
Just letting the tank run for a couple of weeks wont cycle it. There has to be an ammonia source to fuel the cycle, otherwise water will just circulate through the system and nothing will happen.You either do a fishless cycle where you put ammonia into the tank, which substitutes for fish waste and the beneficial bacteria can feed on and grow or a fish in cycle.

It looks like you have opted for a fish in cycle. Set everything up, let it run a day or 2 to make sure everything is running properly. Put 1 small fish per 10 gallons in. Test everyday (you really need a test kit). If you see any readable ammonia or nitrite do a 25% water change. You can add your bacteria because that will speed up the cycling. Eventually, when you are seeing 0 ammonia and nitrites over a few consecutive days and nitrates are rising your aquarium is cycled is for the amount of fish currently in there. You can add a few more fish. Rinse and repeat until you are fully stocked.

And yes, the filter needs to be running 24 hours a day.

I had set up my tank as suggested. I put 1 fish in yesterday and added bacteria.

This morning, the tank is really, really cloudy it’s hard to see! That’s pretty good.

I don't think I noticed any particles. It's more homogeneous so I guess that would be milk like. It's starkly different compared to yesterday when my water was perfectly clear.

Back
Top Bottom