restock query : transition to barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnt2k14

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi gang,
I've got a 30 gallon tank that went through a period of serious neglect this winter and most of the stock died. Now that I can refocus on the tank I am looking to restock. For the last 5 years the fish had been doing fine up until recently. Down to 3 black skirt tetras, 3 otos and 1 albino cory.
I'd like to transition to a tiger barb tank. I know they can be finicky about their neighbors. But without a second tank to move the tetras I am looking for thoughts on:
A) adding the tiger barbs and leaving the tetras at 3 or less as they "age out". Eventually ending up with an all tiger barb tank.
B) adding the tiger barbs and also adding 3 more tetras, maintaining a small tetra population going forward. A mixed group tank.
I will also add more corys and otos and using AqAdvisor to avoid overstocking the tank.
So I'm here today looking for advice on options A or B above or perhaps other things to consider.
-John

Can you not rehome the current fish in your tank? Skirt tetras can be as nippy as the tigers you want.

I'll have to check the LFS. I've not done that before so we'll see if they are interested.

Thanks for the suggestion SaraB.

-John

Keep the skirts over 6 and it seems to curb nipping. If you see one that is excessive remove it and replace.

I honestly can't remember personally seeing skirts with tigers. Not sure what would happen but I'd try to stock as many skirts and barbs as you can without overstocking to curb some of the nipping.

I have kept both of these fish just not together. IME the tigers were so bad that I stopped keeping them. The skirts I rarely had an issue and it was usually one or two in the group. I currently keep skirts with angelfish and they don't nip the long fins of the Angels. You just gotta watch them closely and remove the problem children.

Another option is cherry barbs. Way more peaceful.

I haven't had a mix of fish with the tetras before, other than the otos/corys. Had 12 tetras at one time and they just played tag. Nothing harmful.

I want to give the tigers a try all by themselves. If I can't rehome the tetras then I'm still at a loss for whether to try and make two teams of fish, tetras and tigers or to let the tetras fend for themselves.

Thanks for the reply, K.F.

Maybe drop them off at Petco or PetSmart. They'll take them if you have these box stores near you.

Local petsmart doesn't take them by me so maybe call yours before just showing up with fish.

I have them near by. I'll talk to them and see if they can take them. I hope so. If not, I may give up the idea of a barb tank and go back to a tetra/peaceful tank. Not the end of my world :)

-John

Back
Top Bottom