Restocking a 55gl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
After my wipe out in my tank, in order to keep my sanity I want to start to plan stocking.

No dead fish in over 24hrs so I may be on the uphill now. FINALLY! It will be about a month before I get any new fish. I want to get everything healthy and back to good order. I was going to get a 75gl very soon but will hold that off until this summer since I lost most of my fish.

A 55gl to use now, a 75gl in a few months so I want to somewhat plan for both. The 75gl though for sure will house my 2 fourline pictus and my common pleco if they make it through this with me.

My 55gl has two HOB filters rated for 30-60GL, I run with 80F temp usually and a PH of 7. Gravel and unplanted. My 75gl will be sand and unplanted with a xp3 filter and plan to do 80F again and ph of 7 as well.

I am willing to go another direction... so give me some ideas. I do like the idea of a rainbow shark or a red fin shark, or a few of them. If they are able to live with my fourlines and my pleco in a 75gl.

I will tell you what I had and what I have left. I had my 55gl planned around spotted and fourline pictus. I adore these fish but I am not sure I want more spotted pictus. Many say they are hardy but I have found they are very touchy. They get sick and go fast and meds take them out to easy.

Also not to sure I want to go the Clown Loach path again either right now. I am heart broken I lost my 5.

If the serpae tetra are okay with the other white skirts and glow light tetra I wont get more tetra. If they would be better off with more of the serpae back in there I can get more serpae. I know they use to stay in their group.

I HAD

2 Four line pictus - 5-6"
4 spotted pictus - 3-4"
5 clown loaches - 2"
8 serpae tetra
8 white skirt tetra
3 bleeding heart tetra
1 glass tetra
3 glow light tetra
1 apple snail - quarter size a lil bigger
1 common pleco - 4" or so

I have now

2 four line pictus - 5-6"
7 white skirt tetra
2 serpae tetra
3 glow light tetra
1 apple snail
1 common pleco

Hi Courtnee, I read your post about how you got to this point and I am sorry this happened.

I have a few suggestions for your tank for restocking for you to consider.

First, keeping the Pictus in the tank means keeping fish that are not to small.

I would suggest Denisons, a group of 6 - 8. Also called Redline Torpedo Barbs. Very expensive but worth every penny.

Here is a link to my 180, you can't miss the Redlines
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98180&highlight=

Next I would consider a smaller Loach, a group of YoYo's or Kabotias would look great, I have Kabotias in my 180 as well as my 300 and they get along with every type of fish.

I would consider a dwarf Cichlid like a trio of Bolivian Ram's or a pair of Kribs.

For Tetras, if you have a need to add you should consider a small group of Congo Tetras.

And in my opinion no tank is complete without Rainbows. Praecox Rainbows (dwarf Neon Rainbows) are peaceful, active and adds a nice vibrant Blue to your tank.

Good luck and I hope this gives you some ideas.

Don't do more than one of either the rainbow shark or red-tail shark and avoid fish of similar physical appearance. They get along fine with most fish but their "semi-aggressive" nature will turn into a very aggressive nature if they see any fish that resemble themselves.

The Redlines are beautiful! I bet they look amazing swimming around. Thanks for that suggestion! I love your ideas and gives me a good start. Only bad one for me is the yoyos they sell them here so SMALL my pictus would eat them in a heartbeat why I got the clown loaches instead of the yoyos :( I may be able to do it once I get the 75gl and use the 55gl as a grow out for the yoyos. They are cute!

My sister wants to give me her two redfins, they have been together for over a year fine. Do I dare go this route? Most say only one or more then 3 if you try. Do they get more aggressive with age I am assuming? I could only take one....

Back
Top Bottom