Restocking a new 10 gal tank after goldfish died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AssociateX

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I am new here - this is my first post. I am completely overwhelmed with all the internet links I get when I googled my questions, so I am hoping I could get some guidance on how to start my new fish hobby on here..lol.

To sum up a long story, I received a desktop aquarium (2.5L I think) a few months ago as a gift and decided to finally use it. Last week, I bought 2 of the small orange finned goldfish from Petco for it (they were 15 cents each) and hoped they would last a good month until I was able to transplant them to a larger tank. (yes I know, I should have bought the tank first..but..oh well..this is all new to me.:(). I bought an API Ammonia Test kit and I was doing the daily water changes because the ammonia levels were super high (on the darkest shade of the strip) and I figured it was because I didn't have a filter in the little tank. I was also putting in a drop of the API Goldfish Protect liquid I had bought from Petco along with the flake food.

Well, no surprise, over the past 2 days, both fish died even though I was doing 50-80% daily water changes and not over-feeding. The first goldfish died on Saturday and as soon as I saw that happened, I did an emergency Stress Coat application on the 2nd fish after changing the water. I panicked when I saw the fish sitting at the bottom of the tank just barely moving, so I went back to Petco and bought a Starter Kit 10 Gallon Tank. The kit comes with its own filter and cover. I also bought a separate water heater and thermometer to monitor temperatore.

When I got home, I filled the tank with tap water, added Water Conditioner and Stress Coat, and slowly added the lone fish into it and rinsed the 10 pieces of gravel from the old aquarium, then added that into the new tank. For first 3 hours, my fish seemed happy, swimming all excitedly in an empty tank with nothing in it. At bedtime, I noticed him sitting sideways in the tank and after reading some messages on here - I decided to add 2 teaspoons fo salt because I didn't have any peas (I wasnt sure if it was constipated or what..:ermm::ermm:). The fish remained on its side but I could see it was breathing terribly heavy. This morning I woke up and the fish basically was on its side, and no longer breathing. After 20 min, it didnt even move, took it out of the tank and it was basically a goner.

So now I am sitting with a 10 gallon tank and not sure whether:

(a) I should get another goldfish, or (b) get maybe 5 or 6 glofish instead..??????

I also would like to know:

(1) how do I go about starting a "fishless" cycle so I can make sure the ammonia nitrate/nitrite/ph levels are ok?
(2) is there a general API Test Kit that I can use because all I have are just the Ammonia strips..Do I need to get other types of strips?
(3) how long should I have the water going before adding gravel, decorations and then the fish?
(4) how much more upkeep to golfish require vs. other types of fish (like Bettas, White Mountain Minnows, Ember Tetras?). Is there a web site that actually covers all this info on 1 page?
(5) where is a good place to buy larger fish tanks? I already blew $ 50 for a 10 gallon tank, would have gotten a larger tank but the prices for one ($150 for a 30 gal) just seems so over the top!! How do people afford these large tanks and where do they find the space for them?

Sorry for so many questions but I am a complete newbie to this. Never owned fish before. First attempt at trying to keep my next fish alive!!! :brows::huh:

thanks !!

Hi everyone! I am new here - this is my first post.

★Welcome to AA!

…This morning I woke up and the fish basically was on its side, and no longer breathing. After 20 min, it didnt even move, took it out of the tank and it was basically a goner.

★Sorry to hear about your fish=( we all make mistakes. It was probably stress +high ammonia levels, goldfish are very messy.

So now I am sitting with a 10 gallon tank and not sure whether (1) I should get another goldfish, or (2) get maybe 5 or 6 glofish instead..I would like to know

★ Have you considered some other kind of fish? tetras? platys?

(1) how do I go about starting a "fishless" cycle so I can make sure the ammonia nitrate/nitrite/ph levels are ok?

★ When doing fishless, you can add a little bit of fish food to your running tank, or ask around for some filter media you can use to seed your filter. You will test for ammonia, and start to see nitrites and nitrates. You know you are cycled when you have 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, ~40ppm nitrate. But I keep mine around 10ppm.

(2) is there a general API Test Kit that I can use because all I have are just the Ammonia strips..Do I need to get other types of strips?

★You should try to get the API liquid test kit, it tests ammonia, pH, high pH, nitrite, and nitrate. The test strips can be very inaccurate.
(3) how long should I have the water going before adding gravel, decorations and then the fish?

★You could add all your decorations and gravel in your tank. Do not add your fish till your cycled.

Sorry for so many questions but I am a complete newbie to this. Never owned fish before. First attempt at trying to keep my next fish alive!!! :brows::huh:

★Hopefully someone else can help you further!!

thanks !!

★No problem, AA people to the rescue lol

Thanks! Yes, I would love to consider other types of fish other than goldies or glofish, but not really familiar with the other types. I go by the pretty pics I see on other users profiles here..:D:cool: I am just not familiar with the other types like platys, mollies..I would get a Betta but as I understand it, Betta fish don't like to share the tank with other Bettas or fish, right? So it seems kinda sad to just have 1 Betta rolling around in a 10 gallon tank.

I read another thread that mentioned Glofish can only be kept in groups and that 5 glofish are appropriate for a 10 gal tank so I thought maybe???:angel::huh:
I guess getting another set of 2 goldfish would be risky with my tank? :confused:

Thanks! Yes, I would love to consider other types of fish other than goldies or glofish, but not really familiar with the other types. I go by the pretty pics I see on other users profiles here..:D:cool: I am just not familiar with the other types like platys, mollies..I would get a Betta but as I understand it, Betta fish don't like to share the tank with other Bettas or fish, right? So it seems kinda sad to just have 1 Betta rolling around in a 10 gallon tank. I read another thread that mentioned Glofish can only be kept in groups and that 5 glofish are appropriate for a 10 gal tank so I thought maybe???:angel::huh: I guess getting another set of 2 goldfish would be risky with my tank? :confused:
Yes goldfish need at least 50 gallons of space for one. 5 glofish would work in a 10 gallon, but you would need better filtration just in case. IMO glofish are your best choice for a 10. But they look best under their specific lighting and black sand.

Glofish are not appropriate for a 10 gallon tank. They require longer tanks because they are fast swimmer and need space. Here's the profile for them: GloFish, Danio rerio, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding nformation for your tropical fish

There are lots of fish that are well suited for a 10 gallon. A betta is one, but you don't necessarily have to keep it alone. Some bettas do not take well to tankmates, but most do, so long as it's not another flashy finned fish. Lots of people keep bettas in community tanks.

Some that you might take a look at are Neon tetras, Celestial Peal Danios, Harlequin Rasbora, and Otocinclus, most varieties of shrimp would also do well. I always recommend that you take a look at your local shops and see what they have available. Write down the names (preferably scientific) then come home and google them (using keywords like profile, i.e. harliquin rasbora profile, will likely get you the best result). If they look like something you want, ask here on the forum and someone will be able to tell you if they would work.

Glofish are not appropriate for a 10 gallon tank. They require longer tanks because they are fast swimmer and need space. Here's the profile for them: GloFish, Danio rerio, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding nformation for your tropical fish There are lots of fish that are well suited for a 10 gallon. A betta is one, but you don't necessarily have to keep it alone. Some bettas do not take well to tankmates, but most do, so long as it's not another flashy finned fish. Lots of people keep bettas in community tanks. Some that you might take a look at are Neon tetras, Celestial Peal Danios, Harlequin Rasbora, and Otocinclus, most varieties of shrimp would also do well. I always recommend that you take a look at your local shops and see what they have available. Write down the names (preferably scientific) then come home and google them (using keywords like profile, i.e. harliquin rasbora profile, will likely get you the best result). If they look like something you want, ask here on the forum and someone will be able to tell you if they would work.
I disagree with the glofish not being suitable for a 10, but it's a matter of ones opinion. I definitely agree with the celestial pearl danios. They're great for a nano.

Back
Top Bottom