Revived Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mazie51109

Aquarium Advice Activist
So yesterday, I was cleaning my 20 gal which is temporarily boarding my grandmother's fish, one of which is a tinfoil barb. I made the mistake of filling the tank with the cold water hose, and I didn't wait long enough for the water to heat back up before adding the fish. I slowly added the fish, allowing each one to adjust to the water temperature. A few minutes later, I looked over and the tinfoil barb was spazzing out- darting around, flipping upside down, jumping, hitting the sides of the tank, etcetera. By the time I got to the tank, the poor thing was paralyzed and laying on its side on the bottom. I thought for sure he was a goner. I quickly caught the fish in a plastic cup, ran him to my empty quarantine tank which has a heater, and dropped him in. He didn't move, but I cold see he was still breathing. I reached in and sat there for a good five or ten minutes, holding him upright and allowing him to breathe off the surface once in a while. I eventually let go, and he was still sluggish but he could at least keep himself upright. I was expecting the worst, but when I went to check on him this morning, he was swimming around, energetically looking for his friends! :D I was so relieved. I'm going to keep him in the QT for a few more days just to be sure he's healthy and eating. What a success story!

Great story! We've all made temperature mistakes before.

I one had a female swordtail live with damp plastic plants I had taken out of a tank for a couple of days before I found her. She was fine after.

Wow, that's impressive. I had a small cichlids get stuck in a piece of lava rock. Luckily it didn't dry out by the time I finished cleaning the tank.

I accidentally lost a male guppy on my floor found him like 5 min later on floor flopping put him I tank immediately ad he is still alive several weeks after .

I once put an ant in my cichlid tank. One of my cichlids grabed it and couldn't swallow it for three days. I used a tweezers and got the ant out in one peice.

Wow! I sometimes revive my guppy fry. They occasion ally come out tail first and get stuck. I hold the mom and gently pull out the baby.

Back
Top Bottom