ricordia yuma seems to have gone walk-about

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm kind of bothered by this. This was a very expensive mushroom. The guy sells them by the polyp.

When I came home one of the two is missing. Not a sign of where it was is left.

You guys heard of mushrooms just disappearing like that? It's been in there for a while, so I'm pretty sure nothing ate it. I can't find it anywhere in the tank and it's crazy florescent under the moonlights but I can't see even a sign.

Really dunno, I have multiple mushrooms around my tank and they stick down on to whatever pretty good. So im guessing something ate it, Dont know why or what. But i dont see the mushroom just falling off unless it was dieing.

It looked healthy. Don't know, but if it was eaten it was a very new occurance in the tank as all the other mushrooms and soft corals seem fine as well. There is no trace of where it was on the rock, so that's why it's odd. I figured that if something had taken to eating it that there would have been some evidence left on the rock. Nothing. The other ricordia yuma beside it was fine.

I've moved the rock anyway....just in case. Those were stupid expensive but such a cool colour. They are a florescent orange/red in the center with white along the edge of the outside.

Yeah, They're crazy colours, They look really good.

Yeah, Its abit weird of it just 2 go like that, Dunno, Hopefully u find out what happened to it.

Eh... unlikely something ate it. Unless you have something that likes to chow down on coral, which... well you shouldnt put coral in a tank with fish that eat coral... but I assume you wouldnt do something silly like that.

Most likely it didnt like its current position, released itself and floated around the tank searching for a good spot. The flow of the tank took it into some nook or cranny in the rock work and its stuck there.

Use a flash light and look into all the cracks you can see. I had a ricordia polyp end up super deep inside the rock work, I couldnt believe how deep in it was, had to use my entire arm and a spatula to get it out (it was in a 150gallon tank)

If you moved all the rock around already, its possible you put rock on top of it. At that point... eh, not much you can do. Assuming thats not the case, though, its gotta be in there somewhere. Keep looking, it'll stay alive for at least a week without sunlight (although it'll start to bleach out in a few days) just find it and get it back under the sun, it'll get its color back.

Agree... can't think of anything that would eat it. Also agree that it most likely released itself and went on a float-about. I've had my regular mushrooms do that before. Put some food in the tank about where the mushroom used to be and see where the current takes it. Might give you some clues of where to look.

I have had mine up and let go. i guess to float off and find greener pastures. If you wanted to you could tear your tank up and look for it, but it hopefully will find its way back to the light. I have several different mushrooms that have moved. They always seem to stretch to the light.

Do you have any corals in the area that might be aggressive and sting the mushroom? I noticed I had some let go and float away because of a coral that I placed to close to them.

Agree... can't think of anything that would eat it. Also agree that it most likely released itself and went on a float-about. I've had my regular mushrooms do that before. Put some food in the tank about where the mushroom used to be and see where the current takes it. Might give you some clues of where to look.

Good idea. I'll try that. God forbid that it's in there deep. I've got lots of nooks and crannys in my rockwork. Grrr. Silly mushroom.

Do you have any corals in the area that might be aggressive and sting the mushroom? I noticed I had some let go and float away because of a coral that I placed to close to them.

The closest coral to them were two other ricordea and some polyps. There are only three corals in the tank that I would consider aggressive in any way: green star polyps, candy cane coral, and the frogspawn. None of which were anywhere near any of the polyps or mushrooms.

I found the little bugger!!! <INSERT HAPPY DANCE HERE>

He was all balled up and ended up near my clam on the sandbed. I reached in, grabbed him and checked him out. He really doesn't look good. I've put him on a new piece of rubble from the sump and put some plastic netting over top of him to keep him on the rock. If he survives, in about three weeks he should have re-attached himself to the new rock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom