Rid-ich stained my tank sealant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, anyone who's used kordon's Rid-ich or Rid-ich plus knows that it turns the water blue. Well, I used it in my five gallon QT tank and it stained the silicone sealant in the tank blue as well as the platic on the thermometer! I had no idea that this happens in glass tanks. Has anyone else experienced this horrible incident? If so, is there any way to get the silicone back to the clear white way it was before, or am I cursed with a stained thermometer and sealant?

Next time use salt to cure Ich. (About the Rid-Ich) It should say on the bottle that it will stain your silicone. You can remove all the old silicone and put in new ones, maybe next time try black.

Just give it time... it will clear up. There was a post just like this not too long ago. Over time it will fade from what everyone said! Regardless I wouldn't risk re-sealing it unless you really know what you are doing, I'd rather live with blue seals.

-brent

i had the same problems but with my fixtures in the tank!!! i looked on the back of the container and it didnt say anythingabout staining fixtures. but to make a very long story short i called the company told them what happened and they gave me remedy to fix it and sent me 100 dollars worth of free medicines!!!! check the container maybe u can get reinbursed or the same!!!!
good luck

I used Ich clear and it turn my sealant blue! It's kinda cool (IMHO lol). I used it like 3 months ago and it is still there!

Another remedy is to use a ton of dechlor, since that will bind to the particles. Although, as Beacious said, it is kind of cool :eek: My 5 gal was very pretty for a while and the color has since faded.

Back
Top Bottom