Right Silicone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnNLuc

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know we have spoken about this 100X before but I figured once more to be safe wouldnt hurt, would it? Anywayyy Im setting up a prop/grow out tank under my main and will be adding some baffles to it and ran to home depot to pick up some silicone. Just wanted to make sure I got the right stuff before starting this project tomorrow.

Attachments

• 04-23-05_1541.jpg
    04-23-05_1541.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 04-23-05_1541.jpg
    04-23-05_1541.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 130
So long as it doesn't make any claims to being "mildew resistant" or claim to repel any other kinds of fungus it should be fine. Anything with a fungal repelent is baaaaddd news. If your still not sure you can get perfecto brand silicone at just about any LFS. I know that petsmart sells it as well. I have built about 6 sumps with the perfecto brand and it holds really well.

Have you worked with silicone before?

I have worked with silicone before so im confident this won't be a disaster. I had read you needed 100% silicone and I do not see any mildew resistant substanves or and fungus killing chemicals.

What you have should be fine. I was going to suggest you practice siliconing some scrap cardboard into cardboard boxes to get a little practice and avoid streaking and clumping, but it sounds like your ready to go. Best of luck, post pics of your project!

I'll be sure to post when im done. I plan on having it all siliconed up by tomorrow and having it plumbed by monday night we'll see. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom