RINGWORM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Yes ringworm, I got it from the cycling chemical that I bought to help cycle my tank faster, I recently upgraded my 55 g to a 125g and my tank went into a mini cycle ,I have always had good luck with the cycle chemical so I've been adding in ,I have a bad habbit of whiping my hands on my pant legs and I guess that's ok when your wearing full pants but I was wearing shorts and I got some on my leg
Didn't really think anything about it until I started itching a few days later, went to my doctor and found out I got ringworm and boy does it look like a ring, the name fits
Told her how can that be, I don't go in dirty water ao anything like that, as we were talking and I mentioned my tank and cycling problem we figured it out, cycle chemical is bio and live bacteria in it well now it makes sence how I got this

That's strange, I've never heard of that happening? Not to disagree but ring worm is super contagious, I got it a few times from unknown sources. High school wrestlers get it all the time due to the fact is spreads on the floor mats.

Ringworm is a fungal infection, and I have never heard of it being possible to contract it from an aquarium or aquarium chems in any way whatsoever....I suspect that the link between the two is entirely coincidental, and you picked it up somewhere else. What specific product were you using?

is it flat worm or tape worms are the only worms that i know that can be bad to humans and you can some times find on rock. a tape worm is really really bad.

Stability by seachem but hey i'm not complaining as weird as it sounds I love this stuff ,first time I used it and it worked
The reason I used it was I just upgraded to bigger tank ,my tank went into a cycle again, my ammonia was off the scale ,could not get it down after three weeks and I didnt want to loose any fish, my pet store recently moved to another plaza and when I told them what was going on he sugested this to me as in the move for them there tanks all spiked
He told me he was amazed how well this worked for them, I used it as directed and bam everything back to normal
So im not downingthis product in any way, it saved my fish ,great stuff, just suggesting people wash them self real good after working on your tank, there web sites on the net that show all the different infections people can get from a fish tank, I read one where a person almost had to have a figure removed so do the research, I was one who never realy washed up or worried about it until now

Sorry, but just no way the Stability caused the ringworm...you were exposed somewhere else....you may wish to consult with a dermatologist.

already did that, trust me thers no other way, i'm a clean person ,I shower every morning before work and every nigh before bed ,I work in an office taking auto claims at an insurance company no one here has it except me and thers four of us ,I don't play in dirty water other then when I paly with my fish tank adjusting or cleaning something, if fact the only water I come in contact with is my shower and my fish tank ,went to a doctor we could not figure out were I could of gotten this from, we started talking fish, told him about myy tank and the bacteria I was added to get it thre the cycle ,have gottten it on my but never thought of washing it off, in fact when ever I mess with my tank I just dry off never wash, he stated that's where I might of gotten from ever the fish tank or the chemical, who knows but it makes sence

I don't buy it...it is fungal infection, and has to come via contact with a mammalian host or some very recently shed spores...its not something hat exists within aquatic environments or bottles of cycling bacteria....touch any animals or sit on the ground recently?

You are isolating the existence of ringworm to water, and this is incorrect. The actual host is humans, animals, and soil. You can be exposed from any kind of direct or indirect contact, water has really nothing to do with it other than community showers have high rates of exposure (as do gyms, etc.). It does not matter how "clean" you are, nor your house, car, office, etc. This is the same kind of misconception that lice only occurs in dirty people.

As mentioned, ringworm is caused by fungus NOT a bacteria.....Dermatophytes to be exact. The Seachem product itself has nothing to do with it, unless someone with ringworm touched the bottle before you did. Not a single one of the 3 dermatophytes responsible for ringworm are found in water nor aquatic life.

To tell you the truth I didn't belive it either until I started searching the web and I found all sorts of infections related to not washing up after putting your hands in the fish tank, in fact there was one case were a person ahd an open cut, nothing terrible but from putting his hands in the tank and not washing up go some kind of infection where this guys finger was like tripple the size, was pretty nasty looking ,from the article a read they were going to remove the finger because they had no idea what it was but before they removed his finger they were able to figure out it was something that was caused by the fish tank, some kind of bacteria that got in his system ,do some web searching, it will amaze you, I never really thought about it my self and Ive been doing this for 7 years

Dont use any shower but my own ,don't really go out side and do any lbr dirty kind of work as I am lazy, can't be that

To tell you the truth I didn't belive it either until I started searching the web and I found all sorts of infections related to not washing up after putting your hands in the fish tank, in fact there was one case were a person ahd an open cut, nothing terrible but from putting his hands in the tank and not washing up go some kind of infection where this guys finger was like tripple the size,

You are referring to Mycobacterium marinum, which is a known bacteria that inhabits freshwater, brackish, and saltwater habitats...this is indeed a danger while working in fish tanks. As stated several times now though, the dermatophytes that cuase ringworm could not be found in an aquarium, and being a fungus...have nothing to do with the bacteria in a cycling product and would not be there (no available host).

Even though you describe yourself as a clean, lazy hermit....I would still imagine you, in your daily life, have come across something that has been touched by another human being considering you went outside to purchase the product from a public pet store. It was most likely something like this, that you did not pay much attention to, that was the beginning of you getting infected.

my uncle is a pediatric dermatologist and he happened to be here for a family reunion as i was reading this post. he has had tons of cases of ringworm (its really common in kids) and all the information he gave me agreed with hoopsguru's info. there is no need to get hysterical about putting your hands in your fishtank. as with anything, just be careful!

I will be careful for now on, did he by chance mention how to get rid of, im using mdication but seems to work slow

sorry no he didnt :( i do konw it takes quite a while to go away though. good luck! hey look on the bright side at least its not spreading :)

"m using mdication but seems to work slow "

I used to get it all of the time as a kid ( I grew up on a working ranch in Texas - got it from the animals, esp. Grandpa's cats - they always had it). I used Tinactin cream - cleared it up.

Food for thought - a change in body chemistry ( skin acidity) and increased your risk of certain fungal infections. I believe this is why shampoos are specifically balanced to the acidity if skin - fungal infections on the scalp are difficult to deal with. Consider whether you have changed soaps, laundry detergents, taking meds. Borrowed anyones clothes? Pet any animals ?

Be careful - wash your hands often - you can spread it to other body parts as well as other people

Does tha stuff cure it quick? ,I'm using clear nail polish of all things as that's what a friends mother told me to use, swaid it smuthers it, I've had it for about a week now, its no loger raised up, its flat and looks like its going away but still there

Geez, why didn't the doctor give you a cream for it? They usually have meds available with a little bigger kick than over the counter varieties. The Tinactin should do the job very well though, and their website recommends the Liquid Spray for ringworm.

I didn't go to the doctor ,my father and mother laughed when I mentioned doctor ,they were like we use to get this all the time as kids don't need no doctor just put some clear polish on it and it will dye

Tinactin will clear it up - any remedy for this takes a couple of weeks I believe.

I would hesitate using nail polish as this can alter the skin chemistry , dry out the skin, cause cracking in skin , and creat other potential pathways for the fungal infection to spread.

A doctor would have a stronger antifungal than Tinactin if it looks like it's not clearing up.

Back
Top Bottom