Rio-Negro Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehenry89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking for something to help control the algae I get on the glass but I want to make sure that this fish will eat green dust/diatoms before I buy it. Does anyone know by chance?

I recommend finding out the source of the alage problems, and correcting those... Most of the time fish just half eat the algae and it looks pretty ugly- worse - in my opinion, because it's just a huge green screen with a bunch of bitemarks...

Hi, the thread name says RioNegro. Well... I have an idea for you. Provided your tank is upwards of 30gallons... blue phantom plec, L128. With a school of Ottoclinclus. Supplement with zucchini

Sent from my LG-P880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, Rio Negro plec's won't help and many plec's in general are not great about eating algae. As already stated if you correct the problem causing the algae you won't need to worry about something that may eat it. Algae eaters tend to eat only certain types of algae and there are some algae that none will eat.

If your having green dust algae and diatoms your tank is obviously newly set up and going through that phase. Only run lighting 6 hours daily which will help keep algae growth down. Diatoms are self limiting and will go away once excess silicates in the water are exhausted. Green dust algae will also run its course and go away on its own in time. Nerite snails, which can't reproduce in freshwater are the best for keeping excess of both types cleaned up. Then use an algae magnet to keep the front and side glass cleaned up.

Also if this is a fish only tank you can use phosphate remover for 2-3 weeks which will remove silicates as well which will kill off diatoms.

Back
Top Bottom