Ritteri anemone & dwarf seahorse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are these two compatible? I only have a 15 gallon :/ I know its small and I still have plenty of time to think my stock over but I really love this anemone and I want something in my tank that look pretty and people would like :)

I don't think any anemone nor stinging coral (as in it could harm the seahorse..most corals are semi-aggressive). Unfortunately they are incompatible. Dwarf Seahorses are the hardest to keep of the seahorses so I would suggest gaining some experience and maybe keeping challenging things before you get seahorses.

Hmm ok :( lol what would you suggest for a beginner in a 15 gallon?
I want to gain experience from having the tank so I could convert my 67 gallon into a marine tank

Yeah as awesome as seahorses are, they are recommended for experts only b/c of the necessity of a stable environment and they are picky eaters.

Depends on how much you're willing to spend (like on lighting if you want coral). If you get the correct lighting, starting with zoas and mushrooms and zoas would be best b/c they are great beginner corals. Next could come some leathers and/or LPS and SPS if you have enough lighting and want those corals (montis are good beginner SPS).

For fish: Nano Fish

I have the Hector's Goby and he's really interesting to watch and has highliter streaks. He's good "buddies" with my purple firefish which would be a nice fish to have in a 15, but I'd only recommend at most one more small goby. Don't want to overload such a small system.

You can have an anemone if you have high intensity lighting and an established tank (6-8 months). Those are a moderate for care so starting off with easy stuff is best :).

I already have a VERY strong filter XP the sad thing is, it pushes my sand around and i have two very bright lights (forget the watts and stuff) that are being shipped :D The description said that it was suitable for anemones but I got two incase :)
I know with the seahorses that they eat brine shrimp and because I bred some tropicals I have many hatcheries going that I could start up again.

What about the small clownfish? My local aquarium has ones that are only half an inch?

Oh and (sorry) do you know anything about the cycling process?
I just brought some live rock today and i can tell it has heaps of life in it, theres this green slimy stuff and afew worms, and I could even see some hard coral hidden in one of the holes

Forget the 15, convert the big'un now! Larger is easier!!! Way easier. You can keep the water more stable with much less effort. Larger tanks are far more forgiving. Also, they are much easier to stock. 15 is too small for any clownfish. In fact, there are very few fish that can stay in a 15. Mainly just small gobies.

Is it LED, T5 HO, MH..? Don't think PCs would be enough. Do you know the brand? Do you have a link?

Fish like variety too. That means copepods and other shrimp larvae (like mysis which is usually frozen) and not all seahorses are trained to eat frozen foods. You'd have to constantly make food everyday. Besides the food aspect, they need a very stable environment so no to very little fluctuations in nitrate, salinity, temp, etc.

I would need to sell all the fish in my 67 first if I wanted to and I don't want to start right away as I still have school (finishing soon yay!)
Oh! Oh! Oh! What about cleaner shrimp?
I really have no idea with the light lol :S

Oh and (sorry) do you know anything about the cycling process?
I just brought some live rock today and i can tell it has heaps of life in it, theres this green slimy stuff and afew worms, and I could even see some hard coral hidden in one of the holes

You can go with fishless cycling. Just put a table shrimp in a net and leave it in your tank until the ammonia reaches 4-5 ppm. The LR will help, with having some die off which is ammonia, but you need another ammonia source (like shrimp.) A test kit will be a must for knowing what your parameters are. I think it's a sponge or dead coral or something b/c no hard coral would be able to survive although some REALLY hardy soft corals could be on some LR.

I would need to sell all the fish in my 67 first if I wanted to and I don't want to start right away as I still have school (finishing soon yay!)
Oh! Oh! Oh! What about cleaner shrimp?
I really have no idea with the light lol :S

A cleaner shrimp would work. They are a great member of a CUC crew and can try to clean your hand! Yikes! Hope you didn't waste money on a light that claims to be enough to grow corals. Would def. try to figure out what type of light it is.

Yeah I'm all set with the test kits :)
The lights weren't too expensive because I went online for it but I believe i have the same sort of light where I work and afew people with marine tanks bought them an they're like $120 for a 2ft one

Hmm..might be odyssea? That's a light that is often bought on ebay and they're cheap too. Do you know if it's 4 bulb light fixture? Even then it's debatable if an anemone could be kept...

Back
Top Bottom