RO/DI Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRoy1124

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, i just set up a new aquarium (12gal nano cube) and i made a big mistake in using tap water with de-chlor. I heard that using tap water, it's bad for the fish. How is this? Instead of buying an expensive RO/DI Filter (which i dont want to do because it wont fit in my nano and if very expensive) could i just go to my local grocery store and buy distilled water and make it salty? Any other suggestions? or should i just leave the tap water in?

If people who have used tap water could tell me about their experience with it, i would greatly apperciate it. Thanks

Hmm.. I assume it's the initial cycling period going on here... tap with de-chlorinator is fine of the bat.. You'll need to do a good 50% water change at the end of the cycle anyways..
I've used that method in a pinch and things went fine..
Distilled (make sure it's RO/DI) from the grocers is fine..
The main reason behind not using (or the preference to not use) tap water is due to nitrates or phosphates (mostly) in the water.. There are also other undesirable trace elements there (copper, lead..who knows what..).
The main reason to not use tap is it lends to algae growth.

At a dollar+ a gallon for store water, it adds up in the long run...
But considering the tank is only 12g, I'd say it fits well within the normal budget and should work out fine (again, make sure it say reverse osmosis distilled on the label).
Just be sure to salt the water a day in advance and have a powerhead aerating it..

By the way the RO/DI does not go in your tank. I run mine in my tool shed.. It makes impure tap water pure.

Find a nice water store in your area..Usually $.25 gal and has been through a 10 to 15 filter process....You will want to add trace elements though as this water is stripped of almost everything....

the salt mix should have all trace elements in it. dont add any unitl all is tested..... distilled water is fine. if you look at the labels of the bottled water, it will tell you how it has been filtered. reverse osmosis, de ionization is what youre looking for. i found that the distilled was usually the one filtered with this process, hth.

Back
Top Bottom