Ro/di

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jherrin215

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up my RO/DI unit for my 125 salt and 40 salt and was wondering what everyone else was using for storage tanks for the RO water. I had a 30 gallon trash can, but this really isn't as large as I would like. I got a 45 gallon and it's not as sturdy as I like. I am trying to get capacity for about 100 gallons and don't know what to get. I dont wanna spend a fortune on a container. Come on and share your great innovative ideas with me!!

I use a hard rubbermaid tub from Lowes. Its on wheels which helps. :) But for 100+ gallons, I would suggest visiting your local farm store and checking out thier livestock containers. They are not overly expensive and very very sturdy.

I have thought about like a livestock trough. I also thought about trying to get 2 plastic 55 gallon barrels and plumbing them together with bulkheads to make 1 big container, but I don't know where to get them new. What is everyone else using??

Sorry I cant help you there as I just keep mine in 5 gallon jugs and mix my salt in 5 gallon buckets. Just like the cavemen used to do. LOL

How do you fill your bucket?? I thought my RO unit would be electrically controlled so I just planned on using a timer to turn it on and off and 5 gallons wouldn't be a problem, but with you having to shut off the flow of water then you get into valves and float switches so I want to be able to turn it on and let it fill something large up then shut itself off. I'm afraid I'll forget it just doing small containers, and also I don't wanna lug 5 gallon buckets up the stairs to fill up a 125 and sump!!

I agree, I have a 32G with wheels. I use it for my 125 and 55, just do your PWCs on an alternate schedules. A farm store will give you other great options.

I keep the jug or bucket in a rubbermaid container so if it does run over it`s just in the container.

I have a 45 gallon BRUTE next to my tank filled every 3 weeks with RODI water for top offs. I mix 20 -25 gallons in my 30 gal. QT tank for pwc's.

Check out US Plastic for some large size tanks or barrels. The 100 gallon+ tanks are pricey at about $500 - $800.

Thanks innovator. That's exactly what I would love to have just not that much$$. I am thinking about using 2 plastic 55 gallon barrels and leaving 1 for salt water and 1 for just ro for top offs. I will just have to see what I can come up with.

I have had several people mention TSC ziggy. I have one I drive by everyday on the way to work. I will have to get in there and see what they have to offer. thanks

Back
Top Bottom