RO Water for These Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Muscle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the process of setting up a 112G tank and I'm finally getting to the part where I'm choosing which fish and shrimp to get once everything is done. Here's a list of the fish and shrimp I'm hoping to keep:

Dario dario
German ram
Endler
Rummy nose (H. bleheri)
Threadfin rainbowfish
Gertrude rainbowfish
Forktail rainbowfish
Betta
Marbled hatchetfish
Celestial pearl danio
Zebra danio
Oto cat
Panda cory
Cardinal tetra
Julii cory
Yellow cherry shrimp
Babaulti shrimp
Amano shrimp
Tangerine tiger shrimp

Based on my research on Seriously Fish the needed water parameters for these fish all overlap with the following:

24-25C temp (75-77F)
6.5-7 pH
90-179 ppm GH (5-10 dh)

My tap water has the following parameters:

7.6pH
142.8 ppm GH (8 dh)
89.3 ppm KH (5 dh) - added this just in case

I'm still waiting on the TDS meter but from others in my area the TDS should come out to be 190-200 ppm.

I know my pH is a bit high compared to the ideal for these fish but based on my research the consensus seems to be that pH isn't as important as GH and/or TDS. Apparently usually when low pH is recommended it actually means low hardness/TDS. As long as that's correct the pH can be higher without any ill consequences.

My water changes will be automated with about 25% of the water being changed per week on a continuous basis. None of the hard scape will raise the hardness and I will be using driftwood which should lower the pH ever so slightly.

I'm hoping that some of these fish will spawn for me. Would be especially excited to get the German Rams to breed, which probably means that I should be aiming for the lower end of the above ranges, especially the GH.

Given all of this information does it make sense to invest in an RO unit and perform water changes with part tap and part RO water?

Since my water changes will be automated I will already have some components in use that an RO filter would need so it would only be about about $120 to get a good quality RO unit setup. However, because of the waste water involved in using an RO filter, if I only use it for 25% of the the water changes I will end up using double the actual amount of water, meaning all the other filters (chloramine removal, etc.) will need to be replaced twice as often.

Looking for opinions and feedback. If you've kept and possibly bred some of these species in similar water conditions please let me know. Would you bother with an RO unit in my situation?

Thanks,
Harry

Some fish like softer, or warmer or cooler, or any combination of water parameters for breeding.

coralbandit is awesome with the Rams. So maybe get in touch with him or search for threads he has helped with the Rams to gain some additional insight.

With the specific type of fish, take time to learn the needs of each and set up what they need to be cozy for breeding.

As for the RO you seem to be pretty close to what the fish want to live, but the breeding may required some fine tuning.

In general I don't think you would need to worry about having one except for breeding conditions, it might be a worthy expense.

Just FYI depending on where you live very few places carry True Cory julii. They are typically C trilineatus that are mislabeled as julii. C trilineatus are great Cories.

Panda Cory prefer cooler water than most Cory. If you check Planet Catfish, a lot of keepers lose them in warmer tanks. C sterbai like it warm, but they look similiar to C trilineatus. There are a ton of other Cories tho.

Dario dario may thrive or starve in such a busy tank. I've only kept them with other Nano species. Some will only take live food.

I have a dislike for Zebra Danios are they are such aggressive eaters and so zippy they may disturb other fish ??? But that's from years of selling them. YMMV

Try to not mix Caridina species of Shrimp or they may tend to interbreed and you can end up with clear or brown wild color Shrimp. If you don't care, then go for it.

Your Caridina sp will need to hide out anyway or they'll be snacks.

I'm jealous of your tank size. I'll be following to see how this turns out.

It's great you are doing research.

Breeding Rams may relentlessly attack Cories...but in such a large space it may be fine.

If you seriously want to breed Rams I'd set them up in a 10g or a 20Long and let them relax.

These are just some random thoughts. Feel free to ignore. Others may have better info.

I keep RCS and added CRS Shrimp as Neocaridina and Caridina don't interbreed.

IMG_1074.jpgIMG_0751.jpg

If you want 1 larger, yet peaceful fish you might consider a Pearl Gourami. Add floating plants for the Hatchets to feel secure. My boy is thriving in my 55g
IMG_2470.jpg

Last edited:
Your water sounds very close to what you should be looking for.
The TDS meter is basically all I go off of now since my source can only flucuate and not completely change.
I get my TDS down to 100-150 for the rams...The shrimp need 150-200IMO..
That overlap may be a problem, beyond compatibility...
I used to need lower TDS but have been working this stock for 4+ years now.
If the rams eggs are fertilized the water no longer matters!The fertilization is all it is about!
You may need ro to keep levels from rising too high over time as even a 50% water change leaves you a 50% of water whose TDS has risen[do the math...]

Just FYI depending on where you live very few places carry True Cory julii. They are typically C trilineatus that are mislabeled as julii. C trilineatus are great Cories.

Panda Cory prefer cooler water than most Cory. If you check Planet Catfish, a lot of keepers lose them in warmer tanks. C sterbai like it warm, but they look similiar to C trilineatus. There are a ton of other Cories tho.

Dario dario may thrive or starve in such a busy tank. I've only kept them with other Nano species. Some will only take live food.

I have a dislike for Zebra Danios are they are such aggressive eaters and so zippy they may disturb other fish ??? But that's from years of selling them. YMMV

Try to not mix Caridina species of Shrimp or they may tend to interbreed and you can end up with clear or brown wild color Shrimp. If you don't care, then go for it.

Your Caridina sp will need to hide out anyway or they'll be snacks.

I'm jealous of your tank size. I'll be following to see how this turns out.

It's great you are doing research.

Breeding Rams may relentlessly attack Cories...but in such a large space it may be fine.

If you seriously want to breed Rams I'd set them up in a 10g or a 20Long and let them relax.

These are just some random thoughts. Feel free to ignore. Others may have better info.

I keep RCS and added CRS Shrimp as Neocaridina and Caridina don't interbreed.

View attachment 292180View attachment 292181

If you want 1 larger, yet peaceful fish you might consider a Pearl Gourami. Add floating plants for the Hatchets to feel secure. My boy is thriving in my 55g
View attachment 292182
Hi, thanks for your input. You mention that you wanted to follow along ... here's the build thread for this project in case you're interested: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337463

Thanks,
Harry

Back
Top Bottom