RO water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andari

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm still trying to get my tank up and running. But always seem to have high nitrates no matter how many water changes I do.

So here's what I did. I tested my water for nitrates and it seems that my water has about a 40 in Nitrates before I ever put it in the tank. My husband decided to try using a Nitrate remover in a batch of water that we did a water change with and my fish started dropping dead. I'm in the process now of trying to do multi large water changes to get the stuff out of the tank. I've got one clownfish left and am utterly depressed. I had added two new angels to the tank about a week ago and they died a few days apart.

Do you guys use RO water and if you do what would be good to do if you can't afford an RO system. I live in the middle of nowhere in Idaho on an Air Force base and have no idea what to do at this point. Was ready to just give it all up this morning when I found Shemus (my clown) dead. But it seems I'll have to start from scratch again.

Sorry for your losses! There are folks that buy a $100 RO/DI off of ebay, devilishturtles comes to mind and could probably give you the link. I have heard great thing about it.
How long has your tank been up and running?
What is the name of the product?
I like to premix my water for at least 24 hours, to adjust salinity, temp and pH, to my tank's. Utterly large PWCs can be a problem, if the temp and salinity are different than your tank's.
It will also help us, if you update your "my info" with your tank size/equiment/critters.

Well I did a 40% water change this morning and if my clown survives I'll do anther tomorrow morning. The water I change is the same ph and temp as the tank. I noticed that the remover that was used was for Freshwater and not salt water and I figure that is prob the main problem no to mention the stress the water change must have put on the fish.

I've had my pair of clowns for about 8months anything else I have tried to add hasn't stayed alive very long. I have lost a few crabs as well. My snails seem to be doing well right now at least. Everything seems to go fine until I try to add something new to the tank.
And then this.

I have a 47 gal, which is now sporting 1 clown, 4 snails, a few crabs, and live rock with a sand/shell bed.

I bet that may have caused the problem, being it was for FW. NitrAtes are toxic and at high levels like that, can/will possibly kill your fish. Another thing, inverts (especially stars) are very sensitive to poor water conditions and sudden changes.
How are you acclimating the new critters?

Acclimated by letting them float for 15 mins and then adding 1/4 cup of tank water every 8-10mins until the bag was full. Poured out half the bag and repeated. Then netted the fish out and placed in tank. Am I doing it wrong?

And update on Speedy the lone survivor. Not looking good don't think he'll be making it even with the water change was hoping he'd do ok because he made it this long. Anyone have any emerency treatment tips?
He has a strange cludy film over one eye and a weird film like substance on his body (whitish). I have no idea what it is and it is deff what got the other clown. Whatever it is it came and killed them quickly. 2 days. No symptoms prior.

Inverts really need to be drip acclimated for at least 2 hours, since they are more sensitive to changes in water conditions. I would say those deaths may be causing ammonio. Have you been testing your water, if so, what are your readings, now?

How are your other parameters...NH3, NO2, Ph, temp, SG? A NO3 of 40ppm is high, but not lethal to fish in the short-term. An RO/DI unit plays a major role in ensuring high quality aquarium water. While it is not the most glamourous of purchases, it is one of the most important. Save up for this investment and it will be one of the best things you can do for your tank. I happen to like www.thefilterguys.biz as well as several sites onebay.

I agree that an RO/DI unit will be one of your best buys for your aquarium. I would also like to know your parameters.

If the water your doing your PWC with has nitrates, then you'll never get the nitrates out of your tank. As you stated "I tested my water for nitrates and it seems that my water has about a 40 in Nitrates before I ever put it in the tank." An RO/DI unit is the ONLY way to go. I don't believe in adding chemicals, and I think most people on this site agree. Save up and get one.

Back
Top Bottom