Rock or Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gkleyer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have sand in my new 55 gal tank and was wondering if crushed coral wouldn't be a better option. I was cleaning the sand and found it very difficult to keep from sucking up a lot of the sand particles in my tube. Are there any down sides to change my sand out for crushed coral? I don't have any rock in my tank yet, so now would be the best time to change it out. Any suggestions?:fish2::fish2:

Go with sand and don't manually clean it. Get a good CUC and let them do it for you.

Ah, Clean up crew? Makes sense. I guess I can wait to buy some when I get rock in the tank. Tough time trying to buy good sets of CUC here in Hawaii, believe it or not.

This is a debate we always hear. Rock or sand? Both of them hav some advantages and some disadvantages. Sand gives a very natural and authentic look while cleaning and maintainance is a bit tough. Like u hav to stirr the sand occationally so that no gas form inside sand bed. Vaccuming is another probs wid lots of user. Bt practice make perfection. And yes a good CUC is needed.and for sand specially canister filter is only choice u can hav other types of power filter u can install bt at ur risk. Coz if sand get clogged inside the impeller then it will become good for nothing.
Incase of gravel or rocks it's easy to vaccuming and there is no chance to form poisionous gas under it. A good filtration system can handle it easily. U can hav a lots of choice for ur filtration system as well. So if u ask me I'll always go for small sized gravel. Hope this info helps

Well I decided to keep the sand. I have a wet/dry system (came with the tank) and a power filter for additional filtration so I don't think filtration is an issue with sand. I also sift the sand while I do water changes, so the fear of gas is minimal and I am getting better at cleaning the sand with little disruption. I need to get rock into the tank before I get a CUC. I guess I need more patience than anything else. Since the weather has turned nice, it's time to get my rock. Should I remove the clown fish I have currently into the tank to add rock or will he be OK?

They asked sand or crushed coral in first posts. Not live rock.

Back
Top Bottom