Rock prep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I went on a rock finding mission today, but sadly the creeks and rivers were too high from all the rain. So I drove around looki ng for rocks ( Im new to the area). I found something amazing!! I found a whole mountain of shale!

My question is, how do I go about cleaNing it up? I plan on boiling the smaller pieces but I have some larger ones, like 2 foot, that wont fit. Any suggestions? I included some pictures to make you all jealous lol To give you a rough scale, the felled trees in the middle picture are roughly 8 inches in diameter

Ok scratch that. None of the pieces will fit in a pot. They will fit in a 5 gallon bucket, will just a bleAch bath do? If so what is the ratio?

I wouldn't boil any rock. There's a chance it could explode if there are voids or pockets in the rock.

I've done a 5% bleach dip on plants with a 3X dechlorinator bath afterwards to kill algae and snails. If you left your rocks in the 5% bleach bucket overnight, then did a dechlorinator bath for a few days, you'd probably be ok. I'd put the rocks in water and test for chlorine before adding them to my tank, just to be safe.

Also, make sure the bleach bucket never comes anywhere near your aquarium water again.

get a scrub brush and some cheap cheap distilled vinegar, its inert wont hurt the fish, safer then bleach both fish and human wise(fumes can kill you within a short amount of time). Also do you know if those rocks are safe for aquarium use? how did you test them to make sure they dont release crap into the tank and wipe out the fish?

I take a bottle of Ph down with me,if it remotely bubbles toss the rock aside, its no good.
Bleach is a good cleaner but on the safe side use vinegar to clean them, then pour boiling water over the rock and let them soak in near boiling water, this way will not explode rocks.

also go to a thrift shop, get a boiling pot for a couple bucks, 18+ quarts will be best, if it fits on your stove if not do you have a propane side burner on your bbq grill?

I used diluted hydrochloric acid to test them. I dont have a gas grill, I am a charcoal man. Come to think of it, my dad has a few turkey friers, guess Im going for a ride. Good thing I waited for an answer before I started boiling rocks, guess thats why in Boy Scouts they told us not to throw rocks in the fire.

Thats mainly due to liquid pockets,the liquid inside boils and BAM homemade hand grenade.

turkey fryers work best, I got 3 of them I use for this, I got a gas grill but the meat cooking part is charcoal.

Ive boiled rocks for years, ive been lucky, I saw a youtube late last year and I stopped boiling even wood.

get a scrub brush and some cheap cheap distilled vinegar, its inert wont hurt the fish, safer then bleach both fish and human wise(fumes can kill you within a short amount of time). Also do you know if those rocks are safe for aquarium use? how did you test them to make sure they dont release crap into the tank and wipe out the fish?

I take a bottle of Ph down with me,if it remotely bubbles toss the rock aside, its no good.
Bleach is a good cleaner but on the safe side use vinegar to clean them, then pour boiling water over the rock and let them soak in near boiling water, this way will not explode rocks.

+1 for this, its exactly what i did.

Hmmmmm, rock finding mission eh? I did that recently, but found only sandstone...

(*Google's for geologic surveys of the area*) Hmm.. it seems that there are shale deposits north of me along some streams and rivers... Guess what I'm doing Sunday?

On a related note... is it LEGAL to go and take rocks from places? I'm not talkin private property or anything... I'm just wondering.

EDIT: I mean technically if someone owns the land they own the rocks right? And it's not like there's just land out there that no one owns... So somebody has to own it.

I believe it is legal except in state and federal parks.

Just remember, everything is legal until you get caught. ;)

Just remember, everything is legal until you get caught. ;)
I believe it reads "it's not illegal until you get caught", i guess its the same difference. Just dont go through life with that mentality, would probably lead to some bad things, and probably getting caught too ;)

My take was a Bob Dylan quote, ''Everything in Jersey is legal, until you get caught''.

Went on another rock finding mission today. I have a hint for those of you who want to do this. Do NOT find rocks at a much lower elevation, and more than 3 miles away from where you live. Because if you do, you will have to carry a 50 lb backpack (Yes I weighed it) full of them 3 miles back, on a bike, through the rolling hills of PA. Let me tell you that was NOT fun. I hopefully got some good rocks though, we'll see! I'll post pics tomorrow.

Went on another rock finding mission today. I have a hint for those of you who want to do this. Do NOT find rocks at a much lower elevation, and more than 3 miles away from where you live. Because if you do, you will have to carry a 50 lb backpack (Yes I weighed it) full of them 3 miles back, on a bike, through the rolling hills of PA. Let me tell you that was NOT fun. I hopefully got some good rocks though, we'll see! I'll post pics tomorrow.

Where in PA? I am from Central, PA and collected mine from a local creek.

Back
Top Bottom