first post here help id these!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey so i've been looking around through tons of sites trying to id these and i found this site. seems pretty solid so i decided to join. anyhow can anyone help me id these things through my description, sadly i don't have a camera to get pics. i was searching through live rock and i found these awesome little tube things that my lfs sold me as a live rock, like 3.99 a pound but it definately isn't a rock its some kind of critter. anywho heres the specs.

First Thingy) this thing is pretty big about 4-5" tall and at the bottom its about 2" of a white stripe then about 1 and 1/2" of a pink stripe then about 1" of a green stripe. its some kinda hardened tube that starts small and gets wider as it goes up, like a horn kinda except it's not perfectly round its a bit more wavey. at the top of the green stripe it has little points kinda look a bit like blades of grass ontop of it. also when i first put it in it was releasing some kinda spidery webby looking mucus.

Second Thingy) same type of thing as above except much smaller and there is 6 of them. they're only about 3 inches tall and much skinnier as well and they grow in a cluster all coming from the same point. they're kinda a dark purple at the bottom then white at the top and the inside looking from the top is a lighter shade of purple. they also have little pointy teeth looking things at the top and have released some mucus.

third thingy) weird thing looks like a dark yellow with black stripes tree limb.

fourth thingy) weird white soft thingy. looks kinda like a peice of ginger root.

fifth thingy) cluster of little white tubes on a rock(like 1" tall) and they have the same kinda teeth pointy things as the first 2 at the top but they look soft. also there is this weird brownish purple stuff growing over the tops of most of them, it almost looks like loose skin of something, almost fleshy looky and it moves in the current. worries me the membrane looking thing might be bad for my tank.

sixth thingy) looks like small brown tubes, fat circular type bottoms then they get skinny in the middle and the top is kinda fat and circular as well. has a little hole in the top that looks like it is closed and i can kinda see bright green stuff inside the hole.

thanks for looking and i know that you might not be able to identify all these but even just one would be a huge help, thanx in advance!

best i can do is try, but its not very probable i'll be able to. i wish i had a dang camera tho :(

Artificial_Coral_Reef_Aquarium_Insert_Saltwater_Fish_Only_with_Live_Rock_Aquarium_Marine_Fish_Reef_Tank_R008.jpg

ok if you look right in the center you see the orange mushroomy looking things. right above those are cone shaped thing, they are what my first and second question are about. of course this is not an actual picture, but that is basically what it looks like, except pink white and green.

Last edited:
Uhh Tunicates? Or some kind of tube worm. The others sound like corals...3.99/lb for that type of LR is a steal man. Xtalreef check this out.

First thing, is a Feather Duster.

Second thing, sounds more like colony feather dusters.

Third thing, have no clue.

Fourth thing, most likely a sponge. A description of the shape and what's on it would be nice.

Fifth thingy could be some sort of coral skeleton.. maybe something like dead goniopora.

I also have no clue what the sixth thing is.. sounds weird though.

#1 is definitely a dead coral skeleton. Looks to be some kind of LPS..

#2 looks to be another dead coral skeleton.. branching maybe.

#3 looks like a really beat up and dead gargonian

#5 is definitely another dead coral skeleton. From the picture it looks like the skeleton of Sun Polyps.. but it could be something else. And yes, the thing i see in the back also looks like the skeleton of a brain.

#6.. could be tunicates.. could be sponges.. weird looking things though..

awesome thanx for the help with identification =D

Looks like he just sold you dying coral frags o_o.

lol it was in the live rock section and i was grabbing it all out because i thought it was all alive stuff lol. was my fault not thiers =P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom