Rock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demodiki

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gal tank with 120 pounds of sand, 30 lbs of LR...we are getting 60 lbs of base rock from hirocks.com this week...my tank is cycled.

My question is how long will it take for that base rock to become live? We have an AquaClear HOB filter that has bioballs in it that we used during the cycle. The plan is to eventually take out the bioballs and sponge and replace it with LR rubble.

So really, I want to know when I can get rid of the bioballs and sponge?:)

Thanks Guys/Gals!

id say there is nothing wrong with a foam filter (i would recomend a fiber filter you can inexpensivly through away, over a reusable filter) and bio balls, no hurry. i run fiber filter and a huge biowheel (its the size a coffee can) and carbon 24/7. also a diy anoxic denitrator. i havent done a water change in over 4 months (i will do a 10% soon) my nitrates test 0 (no color change) just keep every thing clean be consistant or change slowly. and lots of water flow.

there is a book showcasing private tanks from around the country. it includes all of the owners parameters. the only consistant things were: lighting amounts above the normal recomondation, higher than normal water flow, and stable water params. all other things were wildly different.

doug

the bio balls and foam things all eventually become nitrate factories so if you ever want corals they would need to go.
as for the base rock question, that will really depend on what type of lighting you have. i think it could be rather sluggish under normal output lights but if you have good power compact bulbs or even better, it should speed things up quite nicely. but as for the amount of time i would think about a month or so for thigs to fully take hold. also if your water current is faster i think it would speed things up a little, but you don't want to make it to intense.

i so very much beg to differ but again it really doesnt matter, both ways will work fine. lotta light, lotta flow, good water quality.

and actually if you want to get the tank cycling using live rock, ditch the bio-balls now. using the foam filter with bio-balls has only created a dependency on those for the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom