Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mercury64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a question if ref to live rock
how should you set up your rock, should you build it up in the center of the tank kind of like a mountain or just lay it down along the bottom
I have a fish only tank ,not really interested in corals
I looked at some of the pictures on this site and it seems laying it on the bottom across the tank is how its being done

You can do it however you like... it's one of the best parts of setting up a tank because you get to be creative.

The main things to keep in mind are: stability so you don't get rockfalls, a variety of caves for fish that like to hide to feel safe, and plenty of space for waterflow so you don't get any dead spots.

Most of all just have fun doing it.

Thanks for the info
The reason I ask is I set mine up as a mountian is a sense with lots of caves for the small fish but that does not leave anything for the big fish as they all try to fit behind the rock at the same time so I took a nice piece of for my angel and set it on the side, he liked it but now wants to be behind the rock with the other fish so they all crowd behind there, the problem is my tang does not like that, kind of a power fight going on between my adult emperor and my sailfin tang
my eel-triger and tamato clown like it just like it is but it does not work for the bigger fish
I was thinking of doing a combo of both but the problem is then you see the filters-power heads and all the other things in the background

IME, if you rearrange most everything, it confuses the heck out of them and changes the dynamics of the turf wars going on, especially for tangs. It's a chore and can be a mess, but it could end up preserving your tangs' fins. Think out of the box and be creative. Sometimes the pieces you're convinced HAVE to go somewhere specific, end up looking fantastic elsewhere. Beyond that, anything goes, as long as stability and light needs are met. Good luck.

Thanks for the info ,I did move the rock around just a little because of the tang but he's just nasty ,on the other hand the angel tries to avoid him but in no way is he afraid of him ,I went with the adult emporer because any other tang or angel that is small would get beat up bad or even killed
I never seen a sailfin tang so nasty as well as my tamato clown, between the both of them I was having a hard time putting anything in the tank
when I added the angel and the lion that changed in ref to the clown but the tang, he is just nasty
He has calmed down though ,doe not bother the angel as mus=ch as he first did, guess he realized the angel would not back down
not to make this post so long but heres a funny story for you, I have a huma triger, small in size ,the last one I had was mean, this one is very nice ,would never think it was a triger, I have a small harold angel I believe its called, yellow in color
my tamato clown always went after him until my triger got ick, the yellow angel would pick the ick off the triger curing the triger and getting ick him self, the angel healed and is 100% better, now the angel and the triger are like a couple ,they are always together 24/7 and the last time the clown went after the angel the triger put a whipping on him like I never seen, looked like two dogs locked to each other and would not let go, the clown is ok but now does not bother the angel ,just thought that was funny, an angel and a triger

Back
Top Bottom