Rocks for a nice Cichlid environment...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Click my gallery to see my tank.

Is the tank setup okay? Should I get different kinds of rocks?

Re: Does my tank look okay for a nice Cichlid environment?

Marconis said:
Click my gallery to see my tank.

Is the tank setup okay? Should I get different kinds of rocks?
what kind of cichlids are we talking?

if Malawi cichlids then i would get ride of the plants and add A LOT more rocks...

That is the kind we're talking :lol: . Where do i get good rocks for them, and how much am I going to have to spend? I wouldn't mind setting up cool formations anyway, I think it'd be fun and look great.

You are going to need a lot more rocks than that. Stackable rocks. You can get them from the lfs or a garden supply center. Just make sure they are not polished rocks. If you are going for Africans you can safely use Limestone or Texas Holy Rock. I personally LOVE THR for Africans. You can spend anywhere between $10 to $300 depending on the type of rocks.

Better than the local garden center would be a local quarry or stone yard...you can pick up an assortment of different stone really cheap as samples....sometimes free....I was thinking of trying granite myself...I know some stone countertop fabricators, and I'm sure they have scrap lying around...

Make sure their not polished like Fishyfanatic says...

Question for JDogg: Whats the vinegar test?

Texas Holey rock, Lace rock and Lava rock all work well for Malawi cichlids. Somewhere in my gallery is my 80 gal Malawi set up with Lace rock--found it:
429180_gal_3.JPG

redswi said:
Question for JDogg: Whats the vinegar test?
put vinegar (or other mild acid0 on the rock to see if it bubbles, if it does then you have limestone or another carbonate rock that will raise you hardness. this is not really much of a problem with africans as they like hard water.

I agree on the lava rock front: very effective, and since it's lightweight you can really stack it up heavily to provide large territories for the fish.

But then, I'm biased ;-) Here's a photo of my ps. saulosi, albeit the rock has now grown a nice coating of green algae which they love to graze on periodically:

270323258_b314a1107c_o.jpg

If you use plants, try to stick with species of vallis and with java fern: malawi mbuna don't particularly care for these so you won't have to worry about them being eaten. Just make sure to plant them securely (they love to dig).

Any rock will do. I went to a landscape supplier and picked up round river stone for about $.50 a piece. They love the caves and agression seems to be a minimum right now. I have more males than I should in the tank, so I think they are all secure with their own hideout and leaving each other alone. At least for now. You never know when one will turn into a monster.

I got four small-medium rocks and rearranged my tank. I think I did a pretty good job, and on the left I made a "cave system". Ill post pics tomorrow.

I don't know if anyone else does this, but i drive down to the beach and snag as much slate rock as i can carry, boil it, then stak it all in my tank. I also use lava rock and, I pick up granite slabs so i can make caves with that too!

Menagerie said:
Texas Holey rock, Lace rock and Lava rock all work well for Malawi cichlids. Somewhere in my gallery is my 80 gal Malawi set up with Lace rock--found it:
429180_gal_3.JPG

Lace rock is by far my favorite rock for Mbuna. The tiny holes provide ample cover for fry and create caves everywhere.

That's a heck of a lot of lace rock Menagerie. Did they charge you extra to carry that home on the plane? :p

I prefer "Wild Caught" rocks. I bought a few of the rocks in the 58G tank, but all of the rocks in the 55G were caught in the wild and imported to my tanks.... :lol:

img_773377_0_773d2a028f165f5c9d48f654772287f4.jpg

img_773377_1_84388872ce46f32cba3bcd3838f6a510.jpg

I hear that certain types of rock can be very wiley and are hard to capture in the wild. What sort of traps do you use when hunting them?

Back
Top Bottom