Rocks from outside...Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
o.o anyone? I kinda wanna know cuz I gotta ...refill my tank after I just kinda vaccuumed it all out in search of molly babies....

Good question. I guess it would be ok. It would be better if someone else posted since they probably have more experience with this kinda stuff.

21 min.. you have to be kidding.. :biglol:
Not even I post so often to catch every thread that often.. ACK 8O
Do a search.. this has been covered many times before.. It can be done..
Boiling, bleaching, vinegar to neutralize the bleach, and acid testing the rocks is covered. HTH

Do a vinegar test and if it fizzes, its not good. If it doesn't fizz its ok. Basically you put a drop of vinegar on the rock.

Does making tiny midget bubbles for 5 seconds, then stopping forever count as fizzing? ^^;

i dunno lol. the vinegar test is only to show the calcium "content? when when it fizzes it will raise your ph and harden your water. as long as you have soft water and do normal water changes the ph shouldnt change much. id just soak it in chlorinated water for like a couple hours and then dechlorninate the water that its in.

Acid test, wash/scrub (no soaps, etc), then boil for 5-10 min, then *slowly* cool it (don't put it in the fridge/freezer - room temp), then wash/scrub once more, again no soaps

What type of rocks did you find? Are they smooth, jagged, etc. Could make a small difference in the amount of carbon and/or types of dissolved minerals that will leech into the tank, if at all.

One's kinda jagged but it's like blackish colored, the rest are smothed, some have quartz

img_466543_0_80a1ba0897ab30b989f3bb40414231c8.jpg

bad picture.... ^^;

@____@ I'll just do what idoit told me because the other stuff will probably get my mom a little more irritated I'm using her cleaning supplies ^^;

Sorry Putiti...LOL. Soak the rock for a couple of days in the vinegar solution. Then, rinse it well. If no particles come off, you are okay. If not, I would ditch it.

Back
Top Bottom