Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Where does one find rocks suitable for use in a aquarium? I've like to build some ledges and small "rock gardens' in my tank but I have no idea where I can find rocks which would be safe for use in the aquarium.

I thought about using base rock but I'd really prefer rocks which are more flat in size that I can use to stack/build with.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Slate is a good choice. Go to a garden center or building supply center to buy it the prices will be much better than a pet shop.

Slate is perfect for what you want to do. Depending on where you live, it may be in your back yard or most any garden type center will have it.

Thx,

dave

Thanks for the advice. Does it need to be washed/boiled/baked (or anything special) before adding it into the tank? I know people will advise against using rocks found in your yard or wooded areas since they might contain pesticides or other unwanted parasites/bacteria.

I like the idea of slate since I could resize it to my liking. Thanks for the idea! :)

Just stay away from limestone, it will break down and make your pH drop.

You can do the vinegar or acid test (never done it, so I'm unclear on the exact steps). I believe that if the rock bubbles/fizzes, it's no good. I also believe the acid would be hydrochloric, but I could very well be mistaken. Just round up some rocks from your neighborhood and give it a shot.

You may not want to take rocks from your backyard, but rocks from the woods or a stream/pond would likely be fine (I'm sure those who sterilize everything they put in their tank will disagree). There's no guarantee that garden store rocks are perfectally safe. Vinegar test is simple - just pour some vinegar on it and see if there's any slightest bubbling. I would just give the rock a really good scrub and rinse well - boil it if you want. DO NOT bake as it might crack/explode. Leave it out wet on newspaper or something for a while - if there's any coloration to the water residue, toss it.

HTH, Ryan

Limestone rock will not make the pH drop, but could raise the pH a bit as in general it is calciferous. It would be the same as using your base rock. Often vinegar is too weak to be 100% sure, but not many of us keep muriatic acid around. If you find your pH rising unsatisfactorily you would just remove the rocks, when in doubt. Otherwise they might just boost your KH, which is not a bad thing.

Smooth river stones are very attractive in a tank. I just scrub them thoroughly and pour boiling water over them, or sit them out in the hot sun when available.

Back
Top Bottom