Root tabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can someone tell me if any of these plants need root tabs? I don't know their name.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433032720.124333.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433032751.969511.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433032772.723303.jpg
Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes your plants would benefit from root tabs,they're heavy root feeders..also looks like they're changing from emersed to submersed...notice the new leaves are taking on a new shape..

sit in silence

If those first two pictures are anubias the rhizome can't be buried otherwise the plant will die.
The last plant would benefit from root tabs though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If those first two pictures are anubias the rhizome can't be buried otherwise the plant will die.
The last plant would benefit from root tabs though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So, I attach them to the driftwood, then? In that case, I assume those need liquid ferts, right? The last one is an oriental sword, so root tabs for it? And the Anacharis, do they need root tabs or just liquid ferts? Thanks again.

I don't believe plant in the first 2 pics is anubias...the leaf structure is wrong & showing emersed growth..
Notice the new leaf growing up out of the substrate?
The old leaves look like contorted growth from shading by another plant..
Let's see a pic of its root structure plz...
I believe both plants to be swords changing from emersed to submersed growth..

sit in silence

I don't believe plant in the first 2 pics is anubias...the leaf structure is wrong & showing emersed growth..
Notice the new leaf growing up out of the substrate?
The old leaves look like contorted growth from shading by another plant..
Let's see a pic of its root structure plz...
I believe both plants to be swords changing from emersed to submersed growth..

sit in silence

When I bought them they were fully submersed. The roots look flat but spread out, kind of like spider veins. It was a pain to bury them. The tank is 24" deep and they kept wanting to float up. Here is a pic of one of them in a piece of driftwood.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433036058.410258.jpg

When I bought them they were fully submersed. The roots look flat but spread out, kind of like spider veins. It was a pain to bury them. The tank is 24" deep and they kept wanting to float up. Here is a pic of one of them in a piece of driftwood.
View attachment 272995

Your plant is definitely a sword...bury its roots in the substrate leaving the crown exposed,add a root tab&it'll be fine.

sit in silence

Oh, one more question. The substrate is Ecocomplete. How often should I add the root tabs?

Oh, one more question. The substrate is Ecocomplete. How often should I add the root tabs?

Once every couple months should do...also a dose of api leafzone weekly will benefit your swords as well..(all the plants pictured are most definitely sword plants)...

sit in silence

My 1st glance made me think of melon sword. But the last one looked like a sword/crypt cross...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom