Rope Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Youngstownfishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I just purchased a Rope Fish today. Pretty awesome fish I might say.

Any suggestions or advice for keeping these things at their best? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How big is the tank? From what I've heard, their pretty hardy but they will try to escape so seal up any openings that they might try to use. They'll eat meaty foods like shrimp and bloodworms.

Tank is a 30 gallon tall and tank mates are 3 gouramis, 2 platys and 2 dalm. mollies. The Rope Fish is about 10" long. Live plants and driftwood for him to hide in

How big is the tank? From what I've heard, their pretty hardy but they will try to escape so seal up any openings that they might try to use. They'll eat meaty foods like shrimp and bloodworms.

I feed blood worms already so that's good. I wonder if they'll eat mealworms too? I've googled them a little bit but I feel it wasn't enough. And yeah when I was looking at him the lfs he jumped out of the tank and I caught him slithering on the floor haha. I definitely made the hood heavy after seeing that today lol.

A 55 gallon tank will be needed in the future. He should eat mealworms.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A 55 gallon tank will be needed in the future. He should eat mealworms.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I do have a 55g with everything to set it up. I know they get huge so I'm aware I will be going to the 55 in the future. And I have mealworms but I wasn't sure if they could eat them since they have a hardy exoskeleton.

Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry for the late reply, but I just saw this thread. I have kept ropefish for a few years now (I have five), and they're by far my favorite fish. You can view the fish profile here
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f29/ropefish-erpetoichthys-calabaricus-321805.html

I have tried mealworms with mine but they have to be cut in half (and my ropes are fairly large (ranging 14-17 inches).

I feed mine small/medium crickets, red wiggler earth worms, frozen blood worms, frozen beef heart, tubifex worm cubes, and sinking shrimp pellets. Their favorite, by far, is the red wiggler worms.

I would suggest you get at least one more ropefish, they do so much better in groups.

Back
Top Bottom