Ros(e)y Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaxom_Ruatha

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have heard different information on these fish. One place said they aren't as aggressive as commonly thought, another said as long as they are in a school of 5 or more they are peaceful fish. Another contraversy I found was size and temperature preferance, one says they grow to 2.5" and another said 6", one said they prefer temps between 64-72 F, and another said they are tropical (Is 64-72 degrees farenheit tropical?). Has anyone had experience with these guys, are they just a hardy breed?

They are a hardy breed, I have 8 of them in my 90 gal community tank. They are currently 3 inches long and are ferocious eaters. i was told that they can get to 6 inches in the wild. My tank is at 76 degrees F , PH is 7.4 and they get along with other occupants of the tank. HTH

Ditto on Rosey barbs being hardy... I have 3 in my 29 gallon and they are VERY active chasing each other around. I also have 17 Neon tetras and there's never been a show of agression towards them. Yes, definitely a school is needed as I bet if one is left alone, it'd prolly chase the less agressive tankmates around.
My water is typically 6.8 PH, 76 degrees F. Mine haven't grown past 2 inches and I've had them for about 2 yrs now.
They nip at my weaker plants.... that's my only complaint about them.

Back
Top Bottom