Rose bult tip anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pool_dude

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

Just got my anemone, and was just wondering if you guys can add your experience on how you care for them. Just like to say thanks to all the people who respond. :)

Few questions. How long has your tank been set up, and what kind of lighting do you have? This will help us, help you. :wink:

In genreal bubble tips are hardy compared to other anenomes they do best under good lighting such as MH, but may survive under lower lights and by this i mean PC or VHO ect. almost no anenomes do well under NO. They also require good water quality Nitrates 0-10, nitrites 0, ammonia 0, mine seems to prefer salinity around 1.0024 (sorry i may have missed or added a zero). I also recomend feeding once a week should be plenty. To feed i would use krill, raw shrimp (from a grocery store cut up if needed), pellet food isnt terrible. Dont let it sting other coral and watch it close if it is stressed u will notice. For the first week it may wander around the tank looking for a home.

4 months is a very young tank most would not recommend an anenome in anything younger than a year

HTH

I have a MH. Also, never happen to me yet, but lets say your anemone moves to the back to the aquarium, how would you hande them or even (re)move them?

u peel them off the glass or rock very very carefully, because if u damage the foot it can seriously injure the animal it can even kill it. Once u peel a little off the rock or glass the rest will come off easily like a bandaid.

You can use a ph to get them to move by blowing a stream of water on them in the direction you want it to go. Also I would not try moving it with my hand unless your very brave. A damaged foot is almost certain death.

An anemone moves itself to where it's most comfortable-that's why they move! Moving it yourself is definitely going to cause it undue stress, even if your careful enough not to damage it. Just let it do it's thing and settle in. Just watch out for any corals in its way. It may sting them or vice-versa. BTW, 4 months is a fairly young tank-mature is generally considered a year. As far as feedings are concerned, let it catch what is left over after you feed the rest of your tank-fish, etc. Regular direct feeding, IME, tend to make anemones over-inflate, and grow too quickly.

whats the reasoning behind having at least a year old thank for an anemone? Anyway to accelerate the process?

the short reason is that anemones require extremely stable water conditions and excellent water parameters. This stablility only comes with time. A tank needs several months to actually become an established eco-system, in fact, it is alway a work in progress. During this time the aquarist wil also need to mature and grow in the hobby. These are not considered easy animals to keep. By waiting until your tank is much more established, you just make things easier on you and the animal. This is hooby of patence. I read an article no too long ago, a link herre to another reef forum or wetwebmedia.com. It explained in depth what an "established" tank was. Maybe some one know what I am talking about and can find hte link.

Back
Top Bottom