Rotala Wallichii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlitcH

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok first, let me say I'm a complete noob to this plant.
I have never grown it but I am very interested in getting some.
However, I want to know why there are so many different looks to this plant with apparently the same name.

I think this version is amazing.....i'd love to get my hands on this specimen.

Rotala_wallichii_l.jpg

So who wants to step up and school me on this one?

well, i know nothing about it, but let me just say it breathetaking!! i would love to get some of that too!

I found a few sites

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=187

http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search/i...eg&no=20&tt=180&oid=0c5e9ab4e7d8055e&ei=UTF-8

http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_Rotala_wallichii.php

thanks about it, sorry. Sounds like it is a pretty hard plant to care for. I am sure it will do amazingly in your tanks though. Good luck finding some

EDIT::: i was looking on ebay and a found an action for the correct type i beleive
That is if you are having some trouble finding it

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-AQUARIUM-F...ryZ66794QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I have some but the leaves on what I have are not as broad as that, more like needles. I personally have not had much luck with it though. It's just barely hangin on.

That picture looks more like Didiplis diandra then Rotala wallichii. The leaves on Rotala wallichii are very fine needles, just like Peyton has mentioned.

I have a few in my 10G tank with 25W CF bulbs. They are growing in pretty well. Once I get mine growing back in a little more, going to clip the tops and plant them. Trying to get a bunch of them so I can have a large enough patch to take clippings from all of them and transfer to my 75G. It's an awsome looking plant, and will do real well if you have CO2.

If you plant them too close to each other, the bottoms will lose their leaves, and look like it's dying off, but the tops will be good. I think the key is not getting them too close, so the lower parts of the tank will get more light. Also, if you plant some smaller plants in front of them, you can cover up the ugly lower portion of the plants, and have a beautiful red over the smaller plant.

Lonewolfblue said:
I have a few in my 10G tank with 25W CF bulbs. They are growing in pretty well. Once I get mine growing back in a little more, going to clip the tops and plant them. Trying to get a bunch of them so I can have a large enough patch to take clippings from all of them and transfer to my 75G. It's an awsome looking plant, and will do real well if you have CO2.

If you plant them too close to each other, the bottoms will lose their leaves, and look like it's dying off, but the tops will be good. I think the key is not getting them too close, so the lower parts of the tank will get more light. Also, if you plant some smaller plants in front of them, you can cover up the ugly lower portion of the plants, and have a beautiful red over the smaller plant.

What.........no pics!! 8O Shame on you LWB :D

Seriously though.....does yours look like the photo LWB?

My R. Wallichii has very fine, needle-like leaves as mentioned, not much like the pic you have there either... Of course of all the plants I have, that one is the least happy... That pic looks like a purple version of my R. Rotundifolia...

Here is a pic my miserable version a few weeks ago (moved it to a higher light area and it is doing a little better now):

DSC07901.JPG

BTW, it is the scraggly stuff with the pinkish tops.

I'll see if I can get some pics tonight. It doesn't look like the first pic. They are in pretty decent shape though, but I don't have a lot of them.

Here's an older pic, will try to get newer pics tonight....
10g151.jpg

LWB.....you've got SAE's in that tank right?
Have you ever noticed them picking at it?

Back
Top Bottom