Rummy nose tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they school well. hardier than neons, but not the hardiest of fish. very peaceful. very pretty. i have a school of them, and they should definitely be kept in a school. they grow to be an inch or so.

they prefer softer water, temp of 78-82, they are awesome fish. But I would say they can be very fragile when you get them from the LFS. So make sure you have a well established/stable tank before you bring them home.

I agree with what the others have said. Rummynose tetras are a great fish that should be kept in a school (8 or more in my experience) and will look better in your tank at home than they do at the LFS. Their noses get a bright red when they are in a stress-free environment and happy. Where in Illinois are you Joey17?

As others have said, they are great schooling fish. Since they are difficult to breed, most are wild-caught specimens and therefore not as hardy as tank bred fish. They are South American in origin and inhabit soft, acidic water. In my experience, they tend to stay in the bottom-half of the tank for the most part.

There are actually three different species, all similar in appearance, and all of which are usually sold as rummy nose tetras. Here is an excellent article on them: http://www.characin.com/carey/articles/98/three_rummynose.html .

I have a school of 20+ and they are very entertaining to watch. Some of the ones I have are over 2 years old and are approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.

I have a school of 6 Hemigrammus bleheri and they are very attractive fish. They are sensitive to Ammonia and Nitrites, therefore should be added to an established tank and in smaller number (not more than 6 at a time). If their noses begin to lose the red coloration, the water quality is suffering and the tank is in need of a water change. Try to purchse them from a lfs that has had them in stock for at least a week.

gheitman said:
I agree with what the others have said. Rummynose tetras are a great fish that should be kept in a school (8 or more in my experience) and will look better in your tank at home than they do at the LFS. Their noses get a bright red when they are in a stress-free environment and happy. Where in Illinois are you Joey17?

Hi, i'm in Oak Lawn.

Back
Top Bottom