running only half capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you gonna try to make your 10g a high tech planted tank? Without co2 and all that watts over such a small tank might give you a algea problem. You might be able to take 2 bulbs out and run it like that but im not a 100% sure on that one.

Four T5s over a 10 gallon is way overkill even with co2. Two T5s over a 10 gallon would require co2 already. I have an Odyssea double light fixture and it grows plants very well but I had to really boost my co2 output and ferts to keep my system balanced and algae at bay.

Those fixtures will run 2 bulbs at a time, so it's either 2 on or 4 on. The two light fixtures are either both on or both off. One ballast powers 2 bulbs at a time.

JesseMessykinn said:
Are you gonna try to make your 10g a high tech planted tank? Without co2 and all that watts over such a small tank might give you a algea problem. You might be able to take 2 bulbs out and run it like that but im not a 100% sure on that one.

Low tec, no pressurized co2, liquid aditives yes.

CorallineAlgae said:
Four T5s over a 10 gallon is way overkill even with co2. Two T5s over a 10 gallon would require co2 already. I have an Odyssea double light fixture and it grows plants very well but I had to really boost my co2 output and ferts to keep my system balanced and algae at bay.

Those fixtures will run 2 bulbs at a time, so it's either 2 on or 4 on. The two light fixtures are either both on or both off. One ballast powers 2 bulbs at a time.

Having low tec in mind without pressurized co2 you think i should stick to the already purchased 15w T8 floramax tube in a single light Aqueon fixture. Again its for my 10 gal, 10 inch high.

almcloud said:
Having low tec in mind without pressurized co2 you think i should stick to the already purchased 15w T8 floramax tube in a single light Aqueon fixture. Again its for my 10 gal, 10 inch high.

Yeah, better to stick with the fixture you have, although you do need to change your bulbs out about once a year. Do that and you should be able to grow low light plants without to much algae problems. Well, that and the liquid ferts you have. Anytime you go high light you have to use co2 otherwise algae just grows everywhere. :(
If you really want more light but still low tech you would be better to add one more normal light fixture like the one you already have but even that might come with it's own set of problems. Low tech can be beautiful. Just takes time. :)

CorallineAlgae said:
Yeah, better to stick with the fixture you have, although you do need to change your bulbs out about once a year. Do that and you should be able to grow low light plants without to much algae problems. Well, that and the liquid ferts you have. Anytime you go high light you have to use co2 otherwise algae just grows everywhere. :(
If you really want more light but still low tech you would be better to add one more normal light fixture like the one you already have but even that might come with it's own set of problems. Low tech can be beautiful. Just takes time. :)

Thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom