Running Out of Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnd4g

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all !!!
I'd like to add a Turbo Twist UV sterilizer to my tank, but I'm running out of HOB room on the back glass. I presently have 2 powerheads, a filter, heater, and a protein skimmer with surface skimmer box taking up all but a couple of inches back there. I don't want to add a sump/refugium at this time. Do I still need the filter since I have a protein skimmer? Is there another way of hooking up the UV without adding it to the back glass?

I wish I had a bigger tank.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks,
John

IMO with that much rock to the size of your tank (Assuming it has been up for at least 6 months) I think that you should be okay in removing your filter to add the UV on the back.

I agree. Bio-Wheel filters aren't really reccomended for SW use anyways, as they tend to be nothing but nitrate traps. I think you would be fine removing it and going with just your skimmer, and then adding the UV if you'd like.

If you are worried about waterflow, add another PH and you should be good to go. :D

Great! I'll try it... out with the filter & in with the UV.
One more question. What will the UV sterilizer do to my water temperature. Im already at 79-80 degrees F?

I have a twister uv light and its not hanging on anything. Just got it in my return line. Sumps and refuges are not that expensive anymore.

I have an in-tank pump with hose that runs down to the UV, with a return hose coming back up and a curved-hard-plastic piece that the water flows out of. You wouldn't have to remove the bio-wheel in that case. Almost zero profile. I'm not really sure why I don't have it in my sump/fuge -- guess I wanted more flow in the actual tank. *shrug*

Back
Top Bottom