running two filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am helping my friend set up a tank and in an earlier post was suggest to run his filter in my tank for two weeks for an instant cycle. I have a 20 long with a penguin 100 HOB filter. Would it be too much for my fish to run two filters on my tank for a while? I read somewhere that said angels don't like too much current, and both filters would have the biowheel which disturbs the water more. I have three angels, three gouramis and three corys. Should I just soad the other filter in my tank for two weeks or do I have to actually run it?

It'd be better if the filter is running since the water flow will bring nutrients and oxygen for the bacteria over the filtrant.

You can baffle the outlet of the filter so that the water flow is directed along the glass or behind some decor - to avoid disturbing your angel.

Running the filter will allow the bacteria to be pushed into the filter. It will be seeded faster. Turn down the flow on both filters to alleviate the amount of current.

The black knob on the top of the filter intake tube, turn it to the left to reduce flow. I have the same filter on my 10 gal tank.

Fishyfanatic said:
The black knob on the top of the filter intake tube, turn it to the left to reduce flow. I have the same filter on my 10 gal tank.

Penguin filters have adjustable flow? 8O I'm going to have to check that out...I had no idea! Thanks!

Hmmm.... I looked for the adjustable knob, couldn't find it. I definately have the Penguin 100, so maybe it's a different version? Can you tell me exactly where to look for it again?

It's on the top of the filter. The top plate has a whole punched out for the knob. I'll look for a pic. Maybe we do have different versions of it.

None of my penguin filters have an adjustable flow rate, I have the 170 and 330. My AquaClear 70 and 110's do have the adjustable flow rate though.

Oh geez. I am an idiot. I just looked up the Penguin filter online and we have the Cascade 100. :oops: Sorry for the confusion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom