Rushmore/Devils Tower Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
I had to do some travelling last week for work, but it brought me by a couple of national monuments that I had never had the opportunity to see before. I thought I would share some pics with you all.

Attachments

• IMG_1340.jpg
    IMG_1340.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1350.jpg
    IMG_1350.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 12
And a few more. This means something. This is important. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1449.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1464.jpg
    IMG_1464.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 15
fort384 said:
I had to do some travelling last week for work, but it brought me by a couple of national monuments that I had never had the opportunity to see before. I thought I would share some pics with you all.

Those are some amazing pictures!

What?! You went to the Devil's Tower country and didn't call me? I'm extremely disappointed!

Nice shots, although I'm a little curious about those last two. I've been all the way around the tower and never saw that particular view.

Randy, I thought about it after I was already there - I should have gotten in touch!

I do believe those last two were taken on the WSW corner of the tower just S of the visitors center.

It was pretty impressive to see in person - next time I need to climb it :).

I guess I'll forgive you this time ;) LOL. It is pretty amazing to see isn't it? Love the native American stories of its origin. You must have hiked back a ways off the trail to get that view, I've never seen that particular one. See any rattlesnakes why you were there? I take it you must be a climber?

LOL not much of a climber, but would love to give it a go. Read a lot about the various climbing guides in the local area who can get you ready to climb it in a day or 2 - after I visited of course, poor planning :). My climbing has been limited to artificial rock walls in gyms, but from what I have read, Devils Tower is a great place for beginners to climb (with an experienced guide) as all of the cracks in the wall make protection easy.

I did see one snake, but it was a juvenile - no rattle yet if it was in fact a rattlesnake.

It was a bit off the trail but not too far.

The stories and lore are pretty intriguing. I also found the wooden ladder fascinating - that would have been an interesting way to go... I didn't have a telephoto with me (I left it in the truck, real smart!) so I didn't get a pic where the ladder was discernible.

Guided would definitely be the way to go then, me I need an elevator LOL. If it didn't have a rattle, it most likely wasn't a rattlesnake as they are born with a button at least. Actually the juveniles are more lethal than the adults as their venom is much more concentrated. Rattlers are pretty common in the area, but it is not uncommon to walk all the way around and not see any, and those only a few minutes behind you will report seeing several. Yep, ladder anyone? I think not.

If you're into monoliths, head on down to New Mexico and hit Shiprock next time I'm in town :) It is devoid of tourism, it's still on Navajo land and getting to it involves some clever road-work and a couple miles of tough 4x4, but boy is it awesome once you get up close. Climbing it is rather "illegal", but a few people have made the journey...Heres a few I shot of it last time I was there -

IMG_51951-vi.jpg

This one was shot from the where the terrain meets the base of the vertical rock, where the gentle slope ends in the above picture about 1/5 up the entire formation. The little peak on the left side is the small, brighter white formation visible in the first pic on the bottom right hand side of the formation.

panoramaShiprock-vi.jpg

You can make out our van at the very bottom :)

Back
Top Bottom