Rusty growth on rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxPAPPAGEORGIOxX

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone identify what this is in my tank?
The tank has been up for about a month and has healthy community fish in there. They are doing fine which makes me think my water is okay. But I have not had it tested. Any thoughts? It's a 45 gallon fresh water tank. The rusty stuff is only on the top layer of rock. No where else.

Attachments

• image-2348586616.jpg
    image-2348586616.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3630299745.jpg
    image-3630299745.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 112
I love diatoms. They make my light colored rocks not so offensive and they feed my otos. I make an effort not to scrub my rocks or the side walls and nonexposed parts of my tanks just so they have something to eat.

Update... So the diatoms are getting darker and have spread some. Still not on the glass ,which I am thankful for, but I'm afraid If they keep spreading eventually it will be all over the glass too.
Are they bad for my tank? Are they good for my tank? I've heard mixed reviews on how long they will last if I just let them run their course. 2 weeks to never going away. More advice would be great.

Attachments

• image-2252071827.jpg
    image-2252071827.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 104
  • image-1259290458.jpg
    image-1259290458.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image-535042568.jpg
    image-535042568.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 101
My tank has been running for almost 3 months and I've got them on all my decorations and plants as well. I took out my plastic plants and cleaned them off in a bucket of tank water but it didn't last for too long. I did try and clean it off of my tank walls with an algae brush I have - thankfully it's not harmful.

How long are your lights on for?? Two things you can do to slow and eventually reverse the growth is 1) cut your light hrs or leave them off for a couple days since it doesn't look like you have plants, and 2) cut back on how much your are feeding your fish. Regular water changes of at least 25% a week will remove the excess nutrients in your tank.

I feel you pains as I was going through the same thing. I did research on the subject. This is what I did to help the problem go away so far they have not returned. There are things you can do to limit the growth.
As in my other post Diatoms are usually in newly cycled aquariums.
Diatoms will sometimes disappear as quickly as they arrived.

I went on a mission to reduce the levels of diatoms in my tank. It was not a cheap cure and so far they are not to be seen.

Filtration will help allot with diatoms. Water flow in the tank will help the diatoms from sticking on decor and on the glass. But is not a cure. Silicates are present in my tap water as well as phosphate PO4 and Nitrates. To take care of the contaminates in the water I bought the (API) Tap water filter. The water filter removes the things that cause diatoms. It's not cheap for sure but it work's. I'm sure there are cheaper ways to do this. May have to call the Culligan Man.

As I have learned later lights really have little affect with diatoms.
Lights have a real affect on green algae.

Substrates: Some substrates have silicate in them and will also promote diatoms.

When cycling our tanks our water has high levels of organic carbon and No2, and low levels of No3 and Po4. They say that diatoms thrive in these condition's. Also Iodines cause brown algae. Some of the products we put into our tanks have it in the chemical mix.

Way to Slow or Stop Diatoms

Manual removal is one way. Diatoms do not have a firm attachment to the things they are found on. So they will clean off semi easily. Good way to control growth is to remove as much as you can during water changes as you can. So do that and wipe them off.

Remove silicates from your water. Silicates above 3-4 ppm will cause persistent diatoms.

There are products to remove silicates such as Seachems PhosGuard or Kent's Phosphate Sponge. Hagen make a product called phosgaurd.

If you have live plants that should help you all also.

Helpful animals will help such as: Otocinclus catfish, /snails like Ramshorns or Olive nerites. They also say that some shrimp like to eat it as well.

Source of info:
See more at AquariumsLife.com | Fresh & Saltwater Information, Fish Profile, Algae Control, Equipment Reviews, Aquarium Directory, Right Now Bacteria There is information available for reading. It would have been alot easier if I could have copied and pasted but that's against AA rules as I'm still learning the rules. So i put into my own words and practiced what I have learned. I think the results are favorable that the diatoms will not return.

I hope this was helpful. It is crystal clear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom