Ryukin or fantail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Wondering wich it was cause it looks like it's growing a hump but to young to tell It was sold as an ornamental goldfish

image-4127976824.jpg

Can you post a sideview pic? Its a bit difficult to tell from frontview but its most likely a ryukin simply due to its color. Fantails also dont grow humps. :)

Definitely a juvenile long tail ryukin! Feed him a good diet- he is on the thin side and has lots of growing to do yet. :)

Thx I feed him shrimp pellets and sometimes when the hikari staple food floats to his side he'll eat that:) do you know when he'll start growing his hump?

His hump is diet dependent. If he is not getting a sufficient diet for physical growth, his body won't waste extra calories on a hump & he is on the thin side already. There's also genetics that play a part as well. Get him a good high protien sinking food such as hikari saki or lionhead and feed a couple meals spread out over the day along with veggies & some fresh protien. Shrimp pellets blow up quite a bit and these guys are prone to buoyancy issues as it is so the shrimp pellets are not good idea. Feed him some bits of human shrimp instead. :)

Ok haha sorry I keep asking questions but thanks! So try to find hikari lionhead? And the shrimp pellets sink so the guy at lfs said it wouldn't cause problems:/

No problem! Hikari saki or lionhead- both are sinking. Saki is more high tech (and expensive) with probiotics, etc but I haven't noticed any difference between them. And daily veggies. Making your own homemade gel food is another option, too. I usually buy the food off of amazon, eBay or petmountain (think that's the name) depending who has the best price/if I need to purchase other stuff. :)

Oh, I'm not sure if I would trust the advice the lfs gave you about food (or anything else) if they are not even able to id the fish they are selling.... Just a thought! :)

image-4203465325.jpg

Sorry but one more thing these two are fantails right?

Attachments

• image-1500103627.jpg
    image-1500103627.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 80
The white fish appears to be ryukin as well. The second fish I would need a close up of its scales- do they look like little bumps or are they flat like the ryukin?

jlk said:
The white fish appears to be ryukin as well. The second fish I would need a close up of its scales- do they look like little bumps or are they flat like the ryukin?

Scales look the same to me atleast haha

Beautiful looking fish!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but are NLS sinking pellets good for Ryukins? I've also been feeding them Omega One Spirulina Flakes and Goldfish Flakes.

Laser said:
Beautiful looking fish!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but are NLS sinking pellets good for Ryukins? I've also been feeding them Omega One Spirulina Flakes and Goldfish Flakes.

Haha no problem but ask jlk for more description haha but as far as I know flakes are bad for the fish as they cause swim bladder problems by them gulping air with the flakes. sinking food is better then floating (so I've heard)

Back
Top Bottom