SA cichlid impulse buy...advice needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongebob69

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently finally got around to setting up my 90 gal aquarium. I had always thought about doing GTs but had never run across any in my LFS. I also fell in love with rainbowfish and intended on stocking a large school of them with other community fish. Prior to my impulse purchase, my 90 gal housed the following:

1 Spotted Raphael
3 Black ruby barbs
3 neon rosey barbs
1 Red tail black shark
3 yoyo loaches

I was at my brand new Petsmart store (I normally buy from an independant FS), and saw a tank with 3 GTs, 2 of which were a breeding pair, eggs in the tank and everything. I couldn't resist and bought all 3. I intend to return one of the 3 once I determine exactly who the pair is. Fish are currently 3-3.5" in size. They have the white colouration on their fins so I'm unsure if it's a true GT or the white/silver saum.

Side bonus: the GTs were $7 CDN each...when I went through checkout she only charged me for one fish. I got 3 GTs for $7.

Questions:

Who can stay, who must go, now that the GTs are in the neighborhood?

What other new world cichlids might do ok in a 90 gal with a breeding pair of GTs? Sevs, convicts, something else like jewels? What bottom feeder/plecs would be ok?

I have a mottled zebra plec..pretty sure it's an L316 in my 10 gal that I intended to move to the 90 gal...should I rethink this now that the GTs are there?

I'd appreciate any advice you cichlid experts might provide.

Thanks

Cichlids are territorial. A breeding pair will defend its territory to the peril of any fish which happens to venture near. The barbs may be able to outrun the GTs. If the shark is large enough it can fend for itself. I'd be very worried about the loaches and the cat.

Severums are an excellent choice of tank mates (and among my favorites). Just be sure they are larger than the GTs as any new fish you add will be viewed as an interloper. The same holds true for the pleco. If it's of decent size, it should be ok.

I love a big tank with a few big fish. You might want to consider 3 tinfoil barbs instead of the barbs you have now. They are large and active and do well in most cichlid tanks.

I've always found that the best way to start a new world cichlid tank is with young fish. When they are raised in a tank together they tend to be more accepting of their tank mates. It's best to avoid impulse purchases unless you can supply a tank for just those fish.

Tin foils get huge fast and they can be pure evil!!

I'm sort of worried about your black ruby barbs and your rosey. They can be sort of timid compared to the tigers. Black rubys are my favorite. :)

btw orange or white doesn't matter, they are both "true" gt's, just depends on geographical variation.

though most with white i have seen have been blue acaras(pulcher), often confused with gt's. (rivulatus)

i'm sorry, but what are "GT"s?

EDIT: ok, i just realized you probably meant green terrors. these abreviations throw me off LOL

Back
Top Bottom