Sad java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I purchased a java fern mat on Sunday . Before I placed it in the tank I cut most of the dead leaves off then placed in the tank. I also did a wc at this time and put a fluval plant supplement in. Will it always look sad? I know it's a new plant but I just need advice for a newb at a planted tank.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a pic 1430262184459.jpg

I think it looks rather nice! What is so sad about it?

Java ferns multiply like crazy, so no worries. You will eventually have so much, you don't know what to do with it.

I think it looks rather nice! What is so sad about it?

Java ferns multiply like crazy, so no worries. You will eventually have so much, you don't know what to do with it.

Some of the leaves have a lot of blackened looking creases or fold marks. Just wondering when it may perk up. Does it go through a melting stage like some plants? Also what I may or may not be doing wrong.

Some of the leaves have a lot of blackened looking creases or fold marks. Just wondering when it may perk up. Does it go through a melting stage like some plants? Also what I may or may not be doing wrong.

It takes about a month or so for a java fern to get up and started in your tank. From what I've heard and experience. I'm a newb at plants too but this I'm sure of. It actually looks really nice.

Don't be too quick to cut off dying leaves, they often produce new plants at the tips at this stage. I leave the small plants growing on the leaves until they float off, then relocate them. You will soon increase your stock.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom