"saddled" RCS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demonknight

Aquarium Advice Freak
463623_10151824813935477_1782676227_o.jpg

wow..sorry about the overly large photo, but does this look like its saddled?, is that a term for having a "humped" tail?

The saddle is not the hump, it's that light colored spot above the tail. That slightly indented space is where the saddle shows through from inside it's body. These are the females' ovaries. From this picture it looks like your shrimp has a saddle.

well the 12 or so that survived from the 15 I bought seem to be liking the tank, had one molt in the tank yesterday, 3 more today..seem to be pretty even numbers of male to females as well with at least one female looking to holding eggs, two more have saddles and 2 of the smallest are already a nice dark red color. All the males (guessing here) are a dark pink color but still kind of clearish..hope that makes sense.

added a boiled oyster shell and some Xmas moss to the tank for more hiding places. There are also some tiny pond snails int he tank, those will be ok with baby shrimp yes? can't really see them being a issue.

1097180_10151832541500477_734839392_o.jpg

oh, this is a better pic of what I'm hoping is the first of the baby mommas..do those look like eggs to anyone else?

On the next water change say try 25-30% treated water but just a little bit cooler than the tank water. This seems to help them think it's breeding time.
Like a nice summer rain storm or something.

You should notice a male hopping around near the female and things looking a little frisky.

Actually, I thought I did see eggs in there, but now I think they are just the red spots. Eggs kind of look like tiny snowballs, though not white unless it is a Snowball shrimp. Typically four weeks from the time you see them to birth.

The saddle means only that a female shrimp is now sexually mature and able to have babies.

Back
Top Bottom