SAE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_newbie

Aquarium Advice Activist
are these both SAE?

img_219771_0_d0d51e638952d49ad6fbe12d0bfc0242.jpg
[/img]

The one on the right, just for the sake of discussion (is it Fantasmic's pic?) has some color in the dorsal fin. True SAE's don't. The one on the right is a bit blurry for me to tell anything else.

Yes its my picture. He wouldn't agree with me so he had to make a thread :p. Anyways, its a bad picture, I know. I took others but my camrea is awful.

SAEs don't have a black stripe that runs through the tail. It stops just before the tail. I'd almost say the neither one is a true SAE. The one on the left seem to be very you and doesn't have it's true colors yet.

Common names can be so confusing. If we're talking about Crossocheilus siamensis which is the true SEA then yes they do have a black stripe through the tail. Your fish on the left is a true SAE as I see it. I hope I'm not violating any group protocol but I found some pretty good pics of various algae eaters at
http://groups.msn.com/LyreTailsAquarium/sae.msnw
It's a good side by side comparison.

The left one is SAE (but i cant see the two wisker), the right one is CAE.
HTH

i agree with vega. i cant see the whiskers either. the right one is CAE. the left one is SAE because the following

clear fins
stripe goes all the way to the tail
has 1 stripe (not 2 meaning flying fox)
it has a zig zag edge on the stripe

the left one id deffinantly SAE right one definantly CAE because of the following
not clear fins
and mainly because it has a suckermouth

Back
Top Bottom