SafeStart and a New Tank's Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdietr1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I set up my new 55 g freshwater community tank last week but haven't added any fish yet while I'm waiting for it to cycle. I ordered a bottle of SafeStart off Amazon (great pricing btw!) and the directions say add fish immediately. Somehow this doesn't seem right. My ammonia and nitrite levels are awesome and nitrate is in range (thank you ceramic media and gravel from an established tank!) but I'm wondering if it's too soon to add fish. Should I follow the directions and add SafeStart with fish immediately or should I add the SafeStart and wait a while to add fish? I just want to make sure I don't accidentally torture my poor new fish with new tank syndrome!

You need to add fish ( a few at a time) to feed the bacteria. Since you added bacteria from an established tank. What will happen is you may have a mini cycle at less you have super bacteria. So you'll have to keep testing and replacing water to keep your ammonia and nitrites down witch shouldn't take long since you added the bacteria.

Almost like a fish in cycle just a lot faster with bacteria from an established tank.

are you adding an ammonia source?? The cycle doesn't actually start unless you have an ammonia source for your tank which is why they say to add fish right away(to do a fish in cycle). If you are planning to do fish less cycle you will need to get an ammonia source and start dosing.

If you aren't sure which you want to do there are some great article posted in a sticky at the top of the page. Each has their own ups and downs, it's what ever works best for you. I always say fishless takes patience(to wait several weeks to add fish, where fish in takes work( frequent, often daily water changes)

I am currently dosing the tank daily with the required amount of ammonia to reach a 5ppm reading.

jdietr1 said:
I am currently dosing the tank daily with the required amount of ammonia to reach a 5ppm reading.

Oops then cancel what I said then. But in all reality if you used bacteria from another tank an in fish cycle is easy if you even have one.

I agree with the answers you've gotten so far. The reason to add fish concurrently with Safe Start is that the Safe Start bacteria need an ammonia source to survive (provided by the fish). However, if you are dosing with ammonia in a fishless cycle, this will also provide the source, so you can fishlessly cycle with Safe Start in this instance.

That said, if you are dosing to 5 ppm, the Safe Start will be ineffective. Ammonia levels above 4 ppm are toxic to Safe Start. Ammonia levels in the 2 - 3.5 ppm range will harm some but not all of the bacteria. Tetra recommends doing water changes to get ammonia below 2.0 ppm when dosing with Safe Start.

Source: Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart - Aquarium Fish Forum 58116

Good luck with your cycling!

So, you started with ammonia and then decided to switch to SafeStart?

When all else fails, I'd just follow the directions on the SafeStart bottle. Seems to me, they're there for a reason. ;)

I set up my new 55 g freshwater community tank last week but haven't added any fish yet while I'm waiting for it to cycle. I ordered a bottle of SafeStart off Amazon (great pricing btw!) and the directions say add fish immediately. Somehow this doesn't seem right. My ammonia and nitrite levels are awesome and nitrate is in range (thank you ceramic media and gravel from an established tank!) but I'm wondering if it's too soon to add fish. Should I follow the directions and add SafeStart with fish immediately or should I add the SafeStart and wait a while to add fish? I just want to make sure I don't accidentally torture my poor new fish with new tank syndrome!

If you have been dosing ammonia to 5ppm daily and you have been getting steady zeroes for ammonia & nitrite, then skip the TSS altogether. Theres no need for it! As long as your getting steady zeroes & decent amount of nitrates, its safe to say your tank is cycled thanks to the established media.

Continue dosing ammonia daily until your ready for fish. The night/day before you plan on purchasing fish, skip the ammonia & do a 100% water change with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. You want to drop your nitrates down to your tap level. This may take more than one water change. Thats about it! :)

Back
Top Bottom