Sailfin balloon molly sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeautMonster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Two days ago I added a male sailfin balloon molly to my 20 gal tall tank. I’ve had the tank set up for 2 months with 3 female ballon mollies and it has two, two week old molly fry in a breeder net. The male (Jefferson) was behaving strangely today. Shimmying and staying in the outflow of the filter (Aqueon20), even when I fed them. I noticed some of his scales along his back are faded in color, but no white spots or sign of ick. His gills still look healthy. None of the females look or behave sick.

I did have a spike in nitrates after he was introduced, but I figured it would happen since I was adding a new fish. I do weekly 25% water changes.

I have him now in a quarantine tank with the water at 80F just in case. Any idea what could be wrong?

IMG_1437.jpg
Water parameters
IMG_1435.jpg
IMG_1428.jpg
Not really the best pictures. But Jefferson’s back and tail fin look faded and maybe a little fuzzy?

If you are sure the fish isn't suffering from bad water conditions, research Oodinium / Velvet and Columnaris / Saddle Back disease. Plenty of photos of those two diseases on-line.

What is your PH ?
Shimmies is often a symptom of issue like 'Dropsy' and not really the issue itself.
Low PH and hardness can have this effect on livebearers ,especially mollies and guppies.
I use wonder shells and baking soda to make my water more favorable for my livebearers.Over time the wonder shells lower the ph even though increasing the GH /KH and TDS. The baking soda keeps PH where it should be.
Here is a link on shimmies.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...opical-fish/&usg=AOvVaw3XUkQvM9WeDc_FZ_lIADpV

Just an update. I put him in a quarantine tank for 2 days and kept the water at 80F. His color came back and he went back to being his usual self. Put him back in the main tank this morning. Keeping an eye on him today, but things are looking better!

Back
Top Bottom