Salt and Pepper Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking of getting about 6 of these for my 20 gallon to replace the BN pleco (read my other thread about disgusting pleco poop, lol!) I wanted a small cory, and I really like the look of these. But will they do alright in 76-78 degree water? I have heard cories in general prefer water on the cooler side.

What species ? Sorry, I hate common names...too confusing
Peppered Cories are Corydoras paleatus

If you mean Cory habrosus ? http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=482
PC says up to 78f.

What tank mates ? Tiny Cories are super peaceful, but if something tries to swallow them they have spines and both fish could die.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I meant habrosus. I only have Peacock Gudgeons and a couple of endlers in that tank. I did read they are a little more delicate than some other of the smaller species of cories. I was wondering if anyone had kept them, and if they had trouble keeping them healthy. Thanks!

Mine is prob medium. I do use part distilled/part tap on some PWCs to lower TDS.

I also use Indian Almond Leaves and Cholla Wood sometimes.

I currently have 4 habrosus and 4 pygmaeus.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421360970.723170.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421360995.576246.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421361013.043628.jpg

I plan to end up with six each. I did not plan to have small groups, but I ended up with both species, so I'm adding slowly. I may move one group to my other 10g.

It's better in general to have a larger group of a single species. I'm hoping to eventually breed mine. A club member of mine breeds Corydoras.

I agree--they feel more comfortable when in a group. I hear cories can be fairly easy to breed. The habrosus are not that easy to find, so you'd probably have no problem selling them.

We attended a talk about collecting and breeding Corydoras. The speaker did mention how few people breed the three main pygmy species and how wonderful they are and that they are his favorite.

So after the talk, my club member walked over to the speaker and quietly handed him three baby Corydoras hastatus that he'd bred.
The Speaker was truly thrilled ?

Back
Top Bottom